Been off mirtazapine for 7 weeks but still feeling awful

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi Guys,

Just after a little reassurance from anyone who has successfully come off mirtazapine. I was on the tablets for about 8 months for anxiety and depression, while I was on them I certainly felt less anxious and I slept so well but I've never been a fan of take tablets, I have to take thyroxine every night for hypo thyroid and that's irritating enough so I decied to come off the the mirt, I was only on 15mg and it took me 6 weeks to tapper down until 6/7 weeks ago I took my last dose, the first few weeks were bloody great. I thought I had totally avoided the withdrawal symptoms. That was up until the night of the floyde mayweather fight, the next morning I woke up after a bit of a late night and bang... I thought a bus had hit me. Crippling fatigue. My thought were all scrambled, I almost couldn't stand I was so dizzy, I was itchy all over my eyes were blurry and I just felt terrible. It's been almost 4 weeks of feeling exactly the same. Feeling sick, being sick. Hot and cold sweats, totally body weakness, even if I go for a short walk I'm totally nakared after, my asthma is bad, I have flu symptoms, intermittent headaches, feeling of swelling in my head, it's crazy. But the worst of all and most worrying it's I keep getting heart flutters that totally knock me for 10. If I'm totally honest I can feel each day that it improves but only very very minimaliy. I'm just wondering how long people have had these symtoms go on for because WOW this is hard. I'm determind to get thought becaus I no longer feel anxious or depressed just incredibly sick. I'd be really grateful to hear any thoughts cheers nick

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Nick,

I would suggest speaking to your GP if you haven't already regarding this as it does sound very worrying.

I've been on Mirtazapine for 10-11 months and feel great and am considering lowering the dose next month when I visit my doctors.

Although I cannot give any guidance on how it feels to withdraw, it certainly worries me to hear stories such as yours.

I wish you all the best, let me know how you get on.

Scott

• Posted

Hi Nick & Scott,

Sounds horrendous Nick, am so sorry to hear of your nightmare wd ... I am sorry to say I think 7 weeks is too quick, regardless of what the doctor may say.

Not sure if you have read any other discussions re Mirt' withdrawal on this forum yet, there is some very good advice, in a nutshell wd 10% lower every 2 - 3 weeks or even slower.  You will see others who thought they could do it having terrible times, so here's to the slow method.

p.s. It's available in liquid form - push your GP to let you have some when time comes to wd Scott.

Wishing you both well, from a fellow sufferer, hope it get easier soon Nick.

• Posted

Sal60 bretjake • 27 minutes ago

I have been very slowly reducing my dose of Mirtazapine from 15mg since January 2014.  

Jan. I reduced to 3/4

March,  1/2

June, 1/4

Had a setback in August and increased to 1/2 again.

September, back to 1/4

Stayed on this (3.75mg) 'till Feb 2015 when I reduced by dissolving a 15mg tablet in 15ml of water and sucking up 3ml in a syringe, giving myself a 3mg dose.

Stayed on this for five weeks.  No ill effects so reduced to 2mg.

After five weeks reduced to 1.5mg in April

Got cocky and reduced to 1mg after only two weeks at start of May and after two weeks stopped altogether.

BUT that was rushing it; believe it or not I had nasty withdrawal not helped by just getting over 'flu. 

So...I'm back to 1mg and taking it gently.

Patience and being gentle with yourself are the keys.

Best wishes.

• Posted

Thanks for sharing your wd system with us Sal; it's so useful for the like of me and others whose doctors are telling us to quit over a few weeks, they don't have the time, resourses, to learn about it.

It's very interesting to know that you can dissolve the tablet and suck up with a syringe - think i'll be doing this if I can't get it in liquid form ( which I understand is very expensive and poss not available on NHS).

Wishing you well.

• Posted

i don't think there is a best way to come off mirt, it seems to effect people in very different way. i read one story on here about a women who tapered very slowely from 30mg to 15 to 7.5 then went on to the solution and reduced 1mg at a time for almost 8 weeks, after she took her last dose of 1mg she suffered terribly like you have nick from the withdrawal.. a good friend of mine was on mirt for 6 months at 30mg and she just stopped dead and only had a headache for 4 days and that was it.. myself i was on 30mg for 6 months tapered to 15mg then after 11 day's down to 7.5mg, and took my last dose of 7.5mg 4 nights ago..  if i get withdrawal i do and i will suffer it the sam way i suffer any other illness untill it goes away because i'd rather be ill than be on mirt for one more day. i hope you make a speedy full recovery nick, sending you lots of heeling vibes and just remember that these are withdraal effects and it wont last forever and it WILL stop.. smile feel better soon..x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.