Been off ven for 9 weeks

Posted , 4 users are following.

Been off for 9 weeks but still suffering bad withdrawals. Worsened depression and anxiety feeling sick all the time and terrable pains in my stomache that are getting worse by the day also I have no energy to do anything I just want to sleep all the time. Does anyone else relate to this?

1 like, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Dutring and after my withdrawal I had extreme anxiety and panic, constant nausea (threw up ever single morning for 3 months!). I could not function. I am thankful and knew I had to go onto a new anti depressant, slowly increased over time to, now at 30mg Cipralex and adding 1 mg of Abilify cut the anxiety!! Thank goodness!! I can finally function after 4 months and feeling stable. Go to see your doctor/psychiatrist to help you. The way I look at it is that even though I am on something else it is not as bad as Effexor that is poison!! 
    • Posted

Thanks for your reply

I won't go on any other AD because I was on them for 32 years and nothing worked for me in fact I just got more ill over time. The doctor and phyciatrist said that ven was good for treatment resistant depression so that's why I went on it. I took it for 2 years and it made me worse than ever so that's why I came off . I have no choice but to go med free now and that's what I have to do once I have got this poison out of my system. Drugs don't work for me and I think 32 years was a long enough try

• Posted

That's what I'm trying to do but I can't do a thing while feeling like this. I know what I need to do and have made all the plans to do that. I got a gym precription from my doc as exercise is good. I have been taking 5 htp as its supposed to boost serotonin but since iv been using that I have been having nightmares and waking up shaking with anxiety so stopped using it now. There are loads of things I want to try but feel far to ill to even get of the sofa at the moment
    • Posted

I know how you feel and you have to force yourself to do it. Walk through the fear. My psych told me 20mins a day of vigorus exercise is as good as an AD! Run in the spot, up and down. Doesn't have to be anything crazy, small changes everyday will make a difference in the long run.

Some natural things I did while withdrawing and still using and helped: EVER DAY I TAKE: 3 Omega 3/6/9, 1 Super vitamin B, 1 calcium/magnesium vitamin, 2000mg Vit D.

When needed I take: GABA (natural way to help anxiety), Magnesium Calm (its a powder you mix with hot water, magnesium helps calm the nervous system), I do have lorazapam if I'm really bad.

Also bought a "happy light" - cost around $70, 10 minutes a day use - brand is Verilux. Also practise breathing/meditation tapes.

There is a really good book actually from the UK. (I'm in Canada and ordered it) It is called "At Last a Life" Anxiety & PanicFree by Paul David. He is a sufferer just like us! 

• Posted

Thank you I will try all you have mentioned I already take omega 3 and B vits and also multiple vit supplement that has magnesium and all the others vits you mention. I have joined the gym but just can't go as in so much pain with stomach ache and headache
    • Posted

Thanks

Yes it is one day at a time that's what I always tell people but I can easily forget that myself

• Posted

Michael, you don't say how long you were on venlafaxine.  The longer you took the drug, the longer it will take to recover from withdrawal.  Nine weeks isn't all that long.  Remember that after withdrawal, it will take your brain a while to take command of your brain chemistry.  It takes time.  All of the symptoms you describe sound like withdrawal to me.  It takes a long while, I'm sorry to say but you can get this drug out of your system if you persist.  Understand that your underlying depression symptoms and anxiety will then be untreated.  If you are taking something for anxiety, maybe you should consider withdrawing from that separately, if that is your aim.  Good luck.
    • Posted

I was on ADs for 32 years and on ven for the last 2 years. I don't take anything now and don't want to as nothing ever works for me so it's pointless. I'm treatment resistant so have to find other ways to deal with this
  • Posted

What your going thru is common Michael, if you could discuss a temparary tapering of using prozac ( recognised as the way to get of this properly ) you may get their
  • Posted

I tappered off using Prozac and worked fine for me.

I came back on Ven again though after a bad spell and now coming off again as they are no longer working for me. I am cross tapering with Lofepramine, and now down to 35mg every other day witrh no bad side effects

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.