Been on 100mg for 5 years and starting to experience anxiety symtoms

Posted , 3 users are following.

I've taken 100mg of effexor for almost 6 years, and for the last week I've been experiencing some anxiety symptoms.  Don't know if this is hormonal...has anyone has this experience?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Laurie

100mg is an unusual dose. Have you otherwise been symptom free for the past 3 years or so and then anxiety kicked in suddenly? Have you had any unusual stress/additional responsibilities/life changes recently?

I have taken it for 12 years in total. First at 75 mg for 4 years (which was inadequate) and then 150mg for 6 years and tapered off for another 2 years. At 150 my mood and responses were normal and I had no symptoms at all. But it is possible for major changes to cause a bit of an imbalance which should be temporary. If after you have settled you remain sypmptom free for 3-6 months that means that the drug (and dosage) is still working. However if you start having notable anxiety that persists or comes in waves, you may require a higher dose. Have you spoken to your doctor yet?

• Posted

Hi-  I had a lot of side effects and a very difficult time getting on the medication, so my doctor increased it by 12.5 mg until I got to a dose that worked for me.  I have pretty much been symptom free-there have been short periods where I felt a little anxious, but otherwise good.  I hadn't really thought about it until you mentioned it, but I have been feeling sad as my exchange student left at the beginning of June.  Was really close to her and miss her a lot.  That would be a big change.  Oh, and my oldest son is going to college this fall smile  Ok, I guess there are a couple of changes going on.  I haven't spoken to my dr as I wanted to wait a bit and see what happens.  Don't want to take more medication than I need to.

• Posted

I'm on 300mg for the last couple of years. I do get low level anxiety from time to time. Anxiety is part of everyday life and if the medication removes all anxiety that is probably a bad thing. Do you have genuine things to be anxious about or is your anxiety irrational or out of control? What severity is your anxiety? I have been getting anxious recently but I think it is a healthy level of anxiety that is largely rational as I have been in and out of hospital and recently been diagnosed with epilepsy.

If you feel your anxiety is irrational or out of control go back to your doctor. Some people do find medication effect does tend to wear off over time an increase in dose is required? 

BW, BM.

• Posted

I like how you phrase anxiety, and totally agree that I don't want my medication to take away all feelings.  I took lexipro years ago and couldn't cry no matter what.  Didn't like that feeling.  As I responded above, I guess I do have a few life changes going on which could have some effect on my anxiety.  I'm trying to exercise more, sleep, breathe, etc, and hopefully that will help.  Thanks for your help...it's so helpful to know that other people know what you are talking about.  Any sorry about your epilepsy...

• Posted

I was wondering if you are feeling any better?
    • Posted

Actually I am feeling a lot better. Realizing that there are some stressful/transitional things happening in my life was very helpful. As i took steps to deal with my feelings my anxiety symptoms lessened. Thanks so much for your help!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.