Been on 225mg 8 weeks and no better

Posted , 5 users are following.

About 2 months ago I was increased to 225mg of venlafaxine for my depression and anxiety, well all this time has passed and I am still very depressed, I have no motivation or interest in life I just feel like sleeping all day so time passes by. 

I have an appointment with the psychiatrist next week on the 20th and I'm going to ask for something to be changed as the venlafaxine clearly isn't working for anymore, maybe add in another antidepressant or change all together onto something else, but I'm worried about withdrawal if we decide to take me off the venlafaxine which I have been on since July last year. I have tried many antidepressants in the past but they haven't suited me I just wish I could find one that works!!! 

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I had a similar problem and dreaded psychiatrist taking me off venlafaxine before I could start on something else, so I was relieved when he added Mirtazapine onto the venlafaxine. Apparently the two together can sometimes work better than each alone. It certainly worked for me. So there is hope, and I trust you'll find what you need.
    • Posted

I have been on Mirtazapine in the past and it made me feel worse so not sure I want to go back onto it! Maybe the 2 together work differently. 

• Posted

I'm on a slow reduction of venlafaxine due to ineffectiveness along with a slow increase of prozac.  I'm hoping that works.
    • Posted

Hi Jim, I've neve tried Prozac and I've been thinking of mentioning to my dr to maybe give it a try. Hope it works for you!
  • Posted

Hi there.  I have been on many different anti depressants over 30 years.  Most worked, but some had awful side effects.  Prozac was the worse, but I did well on Effexor.

I was on Effexor for 9 years,m and so I did not get any withdrawals, which I did when I stopped it cold turkey once, I took 10 months to withdraw.  I did not get any withdrawals doing it slowly. 

When I was in a psychiatric hospital I was offered ECT which I refused, but I saw it did work for a lot of people who were drug resistant.  I am not suggesting you try that.  I was also offered Lithium by a psychiastrist, but did not want to try that either. 

I took supplements all the time I was taking Effexor, and still do.  18 months since I stopped.  Never thought I would ever manage without anti depressants, but my doctor suggested I try.  I am old now, and managing well. 

I am so sorry nothing is working for you.  I do hope the psychiatrist will be able to help.  Let us know what he suggests. 

People here say they take another anti depressant whilst withdrawing from Venlafaxine, and it works.  I did not do that as I wanted to see if I could cope without medication.  Surprised myself. 

I do hope things work out for you Liam.  You will eventually find an anti depressant that works, just a matter of finding the right one.

• Posted

I'm really sorry for the way your feeling. I know how horrible depression can be. I was on numerous tablets until one suited me. Unfortunately it can take time. The positives are there are lots to choose from. Once on the right one you will slowly become better. It is a very slow process but hang on in there. With medical help and guidance you will improve. Please persevere. You can do this 😊👍😊

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.