Been on amlodipine for 2 weeks, but feel like I'm going crazy, feel so light headed and my neck istense

Posted , 3 users are following.

do these side effects go away, one day I feel ok, then another I feel so agitated and light headed, as anyone else felt like this, I'm so scared x

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Carol

I took Amolidipine for almost 5 weeks and stopped mid-March.

Yes I had those terrifying feelings of dread doom and gloom. I was emotional, tearful and felt I was going mad. It was only my partner's reassurance that kept me hanging on to my sanity.

That's not all..... I had pain in my neck, shoulder, left arm with tingling and cold fingers on my left hand. Pounding heartbeat, nausea and pain in my back above my waist. I had a foggy head, strange vision which made me feel like I had vertigo. Totally exhausted, no enthusiasm and a feeling of being completely unaware of what was going on around me. Loss of appetite.

Most of those symptoms have gone but I still have nausea, foggy head and funny vision although these happen less frequently.

I was prescribed this drug during a phone call to my GP about ectopic heartbeat. I've had this since 2018 and controlled it until lockdown No 2. That made me more anxious and I noticed the heartbeat more. As I have a BP monitor GP asked me to take a reading and just gave me the prescription. I'm so angry as this drug has ruined 2 or maybe 3 months of my life and I don't think it's over yet.

I'm currently having heart tests and awaiting an endoscopy for the nausea. At my initial consultation with cardiologist I was told I don't have BP problems!!!!

I will never ever take this drug again and I will be doing my own research before taking anything else I'm prescribed in the future.

Please take care with taking this drug and do everything possible to avoid the slippery slope that Amolidipine takes some people on.

Good luck.

• Posted

Thankyou so much, I think a trip to the GP is in order, did you just stop taking it,? or did you reduce it slowly x

• Posted

Yes I think you're right and need to discuss stopping the medication with your Dr. I decided it was the drug that was making me suffer and took half a tablet for about 3 days. No change in the side effects so spoke with GP who agreed to stop completely. Sadly its taken this long to get somewhere near my normal self.

Just taken my BP and it was 124/72. Why did I ever believe I needed medication??

Good luck in your discussion and hope you begin to feel better very soon. use

• Edited

Hi, I was on Amlo 10mg for almost 3years and at the start it all worked for me, but lately side effects start showing up, tiredness, swollen ankle, headaches, upset stomach and many more after a few months. But the worst side effects started from January 2021 2.5years later, i have developed tremors, cold hands, shaking and mainly horrible anxiety attacks, i was not sure why and what is causing them, i was scared and my fear end up with panic attacks and health anxiety, which was all new to me, i was thinking i must be going crazy or something happening to me heart attack, stroke etc, take tests all came back negative my bp under control, everything fine, so what is wrong with me?? Then i found out about Amlo anxiety and shaking and so on, i asked my GP to lower Amlo at first to 5mg doesn't help much, then to 2.5mg for 2weeks things started getting better, but anxiety still not completely fixed, finally completely off amlo for 3days, so far shaking/tremors is getting much better and anxiety attacks are getting better too. I know that after almost 3years use of this poison, it caused some damage, it will takes some time to get better, it should take around two weeks to get amlo off from the system, but some side effects stay for longer or keep returning for some time. I am sorry for anyone who have to go through same pain, some people are sensitive or allergic somehow to this poison and it should be banned completely from the whole world.

I am starting going natural way to keep my bp low, exercise, diet, no salt, no sugar, no fat, no smoking, also magnesium glycinate is a great help with bp, beetroot juice, garlic supplements, b complex vitamins etc. and it works for me.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.