Been on and off dizzy since September

Posted , 3 users are following.

Ive been on and off dizzy since September. It started with feeling like I was swaying on a boat 24/7 and then vertigo attacks came into play (not lasting very long at all). Of course I got worried so I went to the doctors (not an ENT) and he told me my eardrum was dull and I had fluid behind my eardrum, then he prescribed me Nasacort and I was on my way. That diagnosis of “fluid behind my eardrum” made complete sense because I had been having tinnitus for MONTHS, not knowing it even was tinnitus. Any time I do the slightest bit of exercise my right ear becomes plugged up like I have a ear plug and I have to sniff really hard, yawn and swallow multiple times to get it to unplug. Ive honestly just had consistent problems with my right ear for quite some years, and have even woken up a couple times with vertigo that usually went away by the end of the day.  

The Nasacort really helped. I stopped having vertigo attacks and the dizziness was at bay. I felt so relieved! I stopped taking it after awhile and I’ve been okay since. A little of that “on a boat” feeling here and there, but nothing that was as crazy as that first week. Recently, I got a cold! I was stuffed up so badly and miserable. I was taking a nasal decongestant spray every 12 hours like recommended and it really helped, but once the 3rd or 4th day (December 13th) of my cold hit...the dizziness came back with revenge. Ever since then its been exactly like how it was the first week back in September.

Tonight got bad so I decided to start taking Nasacort again to get some relief, even after 1 use tonight I felt better, but I’m still scheduling an appointment for an ENT. I’m pretty nervous because I do have major health anxiety along with anxiety in general. I was wondering if anyone else had a similar experience like this and what the ENT diagnosed you with? Also, what did they all do at the appointment to get to that diagnosis? just to maybe better prepare me for what I’m going into

Side note: I feel like I have ETD from swollen tonsils and possibly swollen adenoids. I got strep throat at least once a year for my whole school career (I’m 20 now) and I did get mono back in 2013. So, from consistent strep throats and mono my tonsils are fairly enlarged to this day and I read that ETD can be caused by that.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hello,  So sorry to read you're suffering so badly.  Ask your doctor if your problem

could be Menieres Virus.  I suffer severe Eustachian Tube Dysfunction, but never

accompanied with dizziness.  Those steroid nasal sprays should be used all the

time, as they build up to rid of all the inflammation and hopefully dry up the fluid,

which of course is mucus.

Try not to stress about it, or you'll find it will get worse.  Tinnitus is common too

with blocked ears.

Anne

• Posted

I will definitely ask about Ménière’s! I have been reading about people’s experiences with that disease and they seem to reflect my symptoms somewhat.

Thank you for your reply, Anne!

• Posted

Hi sidney my dizziness deafness and tinnitus which by the screams 24/7 but you get used to it.iwent for mri and was diagnosed with a accoustic neuroma that was three years ago .all they offer for the lmbalance is some theropy yet to start they killed my left ear with genta mysin hoping the right one would take over it didnt so at the moment i try not to fall to hard cause it hurts . But hey one day you never know .                

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.