Been on citalopram again for nearly 3 weeks, no better probably worse

Posted , 5 users are following.

Feeling very depressed today. nearly 3 weeks on citalopram second time. 2 days on 5mg, a week on 10 and just over a week on 15. last 2 days on 20. im not feeling any better at all, in fact i think i feel worse. much more depressed than before i started the meds and more anxious. i know they usually kick in after 2 weeks so i am really scared that theyre not going to work this time as not seeing any benefits at all.

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

im wondering if i should come off them. at least i wouldnt have the side effects - i was mostly sleeping ok before and didnt have all the panic attacks. problem is that the meds have ramped up the anxiety and depression so much now that i fear it would be very difficult to manage them without medication! such a shame as they worked so well for me the first time for 4 years

• Posted

you have had too fast an increase in dose to get you up to 20mg. perhaps you should have taken it the increases much more slowly. personally, I would knock back to 10mg till things level out a bit. hope you feel better soon.

• Posted

thanks but the psychiatrist was adamant that 20 was the minimum therapeutic dose and that was what i got better on last time so needed to get up to that. they usually say a dose increase each week

• Posted

now im really unsure what to do? should i reduce the dose or stick it out now im there? what do others think?

• Posted

I am in the same position as you. Too many dose changes. Now Ive been reduced to 30mg from 40mg. I am going to give it at least 3 weeks to settle. Ive seen a small improvement since reducing and am into week 2 of reduction. This is my 3rd time on citralopram. Hang in there for another few weeks.

• Posted

thanks Ciara did it work for you the other times? how long did it take the second time?

• Posted

Hi Tasmin, The first time was a few weeks on 10mg. The second time was closer to 3 mths on 10mg then upped to 20mg. I am raging at myself this time around as I have had far too many dose increases too quickly so had no settled period. Before I knew it I was on 40mg and very quickly went downhill with side effects. I am now day 11 into reduced dose of 30mg. Am so much better this week....I am hoping for that to continue x stay in touch and let me know how you go. Stay patient and look at healing meditations. ..the mind is capable of healing itself.

• Posted

thanks Ciara where do i vet the healing meditations from?

• Posted

I just go to you tube and search for healing meditation and you will get lots of options. It needs to be a daily practice though. some of them are really good for helping with sleep aswell.

• Posted

As gerry has said too fast an increase too soon, however it is what it is now and you will have to be patient, the last 2 times I have been on citlopram it took 8 weeks for me to be some what near normal on a constant 20mgs, if you felt ok after 2 weeks last time you were one of the very lucky ones however you haven't been on 20 for 2 weeks yet so you may get lucky again, patience is required, which I know is in short supply when all we want to do is get on with our lives and feel better. Would not come off of them just yet though

• Posted

thanks everyone. so you think i should stick it out on 20 now and hope that things start to level out and not be discouraged that i havent had any improvement after nearly 3 weeks? i lnow its different for everyone but im guessinng i should be seeing some improvement after say 4 weeks on 20?

• Posted

12 weeks is the minimum period to see if its working not the two weeks that the leaflet says.best regards

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.