Been on flucoxicillin 500mg for my pilodinal cyst reoccurrence, don't think they've worked

Posted , 5 users are following.

Early 2014 I had a pilodinal cyst appear to the left of my tailbone area, it got worse and more painful on antibiotics until I had to be rushed to hospital and have it operated on when it reached the size of a large golfball, it has reoccurred before and gone away with antibiotics however this time of reoccurrence on my last day of antibiotics it is still causing me pain, it is still swollen red and generally odd looking. I am waiting to see the doctor later today but have no idea whether I should be put on more antibiotics or have surgery again (which was hell for two straight months last time as it had to be repacked daily). Keep in mind that this is nowhere near as large or painful as the first time. Has anyone else been in the same boat? What treatment was best for you? Did it work? What should the doctor do? sad any advice or help would be appreciated, I'm a little terrified here.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

How awful for you.  So your first operation was 'incision and drainage' of a pilonidal abscess followed by two months of daily packings?

Only experience I have is my son who has had ongoing problems for the past year. He had the same initial op as yourself, followed by a further op for 'excision of multiple pilonidal sinuses' (10cm x 8cm).  This surgery had its post op complications with excessive bleeding and later an infection.  He has undergone daily packings since Nov 3rd 2015...so 5 months on!! Although the wound is a lot smaller, unfortunately for him,  is complaining of repeat symptoms, with manageable pain. We had all hoped that the big surgery would work, and I hope I'm proven wrong, but suspect a repeat cycle is underway. It's a difficult situation to help him as a mum, and a nurse, as he is travelling and currently in Brazil! I've told him to return to the UK as we may need to start the whole referral process again.

It sounds as though your infection has not resolved and you may require an incision again. Reading lots of previous posts, 'pilonidal disease' is a challenging and debilitating condition, requiring multiple surgeries for some. 

If you remain under the care of the colorectal team, discuss all your options.

Hope all goes well.

• Posted

I've experienced this! It is truly horrible. What got rid of mine was two things: getting another surgeon( specifically a colorrectal surgeon- they specialize in these sort of cases) and getting a VAC machine placed on the site of the wound. And don't be scared by the word machine it is actually a small device that is hooked up to a tube, this tube is placed on the special dressing(gauze) that is inserted in the wound. It was so amazing. This device aided my body to heal quicker( my wound closed beautifully in only 4 months, as opposed to naturally letting it close that would take 1 year or more) and it didn't allow bacteria to grow.

It's been one year and 3 months since it closed. I have my life back and I'm healthy. The same will happen to you.

If you have any questions, let me know.

• Posted

That's fantastic news and I hope to keep the 'P' word at bay.

As mentioned, my son's wound was so large (a large apple) and too near to the 'anus', unfortunately, he could not have this (I did push for this). So depends where the sinuses are, but yes it has proven to be very effective, but unfortunately not everyone can have this.

• Posted

Thank you! Mine was just above the anus so maybe that's why they put the VAC on my wound.

Sorry to hear that, I wish your son the best!

I hope that 1sophie1704 can use the VAC.

• Posted

Hi Sophie, you have my utmost sympathy! I had to have an emergency operation on a pilonidal cyst about a year ago and I was in agony before the operation. No amount of oral  antibiotic would help. Thankfully the op was a great success and I felt better immediately. The daily dressing regime that followed was not easy but after 8-10 weeks I thought I was cured. Wrong!!

about 6 months later I developed a small red spot on the scar tissue which was sore to the touch. A few days later I felt hard lumps under the skin. Another course of antibiotics followed which cleared up the infection but I still have a sore "spot" which occasionally appears to have a discharge. It changes daily and I am currently living with it as I have had an EUA and the consultant has ruled out fistulae but says it could be a failed wond from the initial surgery. I take regular warm baths and my GP has prescribed an anti microbial emollient (Dermol 600) to help keep it clean and infection free.

• Posted

Have things improved for you...any updates?

Update regarding my son who is in Brazil. Had to present to hospital doctor with increased pain - son thinks another sinus has appeared. Unfortunately the team really didn't know too much about pilonidal sinuses. So after short deliberation he will be returning back to UK very soon and start the whole referral process again.

It must be exhausting for you all who have endured this condition.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.