Been on fluoxetine/prozac for 8 weeks still have severe anxiety and mood hasnt really improved

Posted , 14 users are following.

I was on fluoxetine 20mg for 6 weeks it wasnt doing anything for my anxiety so my doc upped it to 40mg its been 2 weeks since then i am still really anxious 24/7 and my mood has worsened. will it get better with time ? 

0 likes, 30 replies

30 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi....Just wondering how are you doing. Did Prozac start working for you?  I'm been on it for 4 weeks and my anxiety is constant.  I can't imagine going threw this for much longer. Could you please give me an update?

• Posted

Sunny I was on 20 mg from March 2017 to November when I went down to 10mg. Then in early Feb of this year, I quit cold turkey. Big mistake.

I am now finishing week 3 of being back on 20mg dose. While I feel very slightly better in terms of mental outlook, the anxiety and generally being uptight have been a monster. I take Klonopin as needed when it gets r3eally bad.

I will advise like others have said, it takes time to "kick in" fully. It is a slow release SRI drug that does not offer a quick fix. That is why when I went off it I felt fine for about 3 weeks.............then all hell broke loose.

See if your doc can prescribe something for the anxiety. Often as I have read, anti anxiety meds are often given along with AD until the AD fully kicks in.

• Posted

Can you give me an update i have been 6 weeks on prozact, 2 weeks on 10mlg 3 weeks on 20mlg. 1 week on 40mlg. All days have been bad some terrible but today its extremely bad. I feel like im going crazy today. My anxiety is out of control. I need help.!!!!
  • Posted

How are people getting on?  I used to be on 20mg citalopram, but was moved onto fluoxetine a while back.  Been 8 weeks on 20 mg and 10 weeks on 40mg now.  I feel a bit more balanced, but still having bad spells.  Any advice?  I am mainly on it for generalised anxiety with some depression.

I am also doing CBT and mindfullness, but not finding it that helpful yet!

• Posted

I have been on Flu for 7 months and 20mg for 4.7 months. I am better but not where I want to be. Diagnosis is PTSD with depression and anxiety. I wasn’t anxious until I started ADs about a year ago. At least I didn’t know I was. 

I took Flu 20 years ago and it worked fast and well but so much this time. 

You are still early on the 40mg. Give it more time. 

How did you feel when you went from 20 to 40?

• Posted

I had a bad couple of weeks between 2 and 5 weeks when side effects came back. They have settled now and just waiting for some positive effect! Just feel flat and every few days my anxiety goes through the roof. 
    • Posted

Stay with it. I am not ready to say I am well, but it has taken over 7 months for me to see a path ahead. I think 7 months is unusual to wait for results. Yours will probably come sooner.  

Good luck. 

• Posted

Man I hope so!! It is difficult holding down a job on the bad days.  Still, as you say, fingers crossed for an uphill trend!
  • Posted

Hi

I've been on Fluoxetine 40mg for 13 months. Flu is a very slow acting med ....I know it now.

As you mentioned, i.suffered anxiety and mood fluctuation, sleep disturbance, shaky legs and hands etc for a quite long time as its initial side effects. But those side effects were gone eventually. I took Mirtazapine 15mg for a while too.

I hope Flu will kick into your system soon.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.