Been on fluoxetine / Prozac for nearly 7 weeks and feel like I’m going downhill!

Posted , 7 users are following.

Almost 7 weeks on Prozac now and I’m struggling big time, I actually feel worse than I did before I started taking them! I take for anxiety and depression- first 2-3 weeks weren’t too bad a little increase in anxiety but nothing too major but the last 3/4 weeks feel like a living hell. I feel like a zombie , sometimes literally feel like I’m loosing my mind, sleep is disrupted, crazy dreams all night,  severe increase in anxiety and depression, no motivation and very fatigued. I originally said I want to give it 3 months minimum to work as I understand how slow acting prozac can be but I just thought by now I’d have had a couple of good days at least, I’ve probably had the odd half day here and there where I’ve felt reasonably close to ‘normal’. Does anyone have any advice or been in a similar position? It’s taken me years to finally pluck up the courage to take medication and try to get myself well. Am I expecting too much too soon or will it not work from me? Appreciate your replies. Thanks you, ryan

0 likes, 11 replies

Report / Delete

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi same here been on 40mg for 8weeks have had an awful weekend constant chest paint no sleep I have had good days not great ones only staying on them as they worked before best of luck
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

It took a good 3 or 4 months I tell you something once I’m settled again I’ll never come off them again I felt so well for about 3 years so decided to ween off them within a year I knew I shouldn’t have stay strong you’ll get there it’s the blips I struggle with it’s hard to remember the first time I was on them it’s a distant memory
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

My GP asked me to  commit to six months before she'd prescribe Flu. It took a few weeks to get past the hell-on-earth stage and then gradually I noticed more and more good times that turned into days, then weeks. That was a few years ago now and now I can honestly say I've never been happier.

Took me many decades to pluck up the courage to seek help for anxiety and depression and a few weeks to reap the benefits of this wonder drug - 'orrible weeks, but only a few.

There is always the chance Flu won't work for you but you won't know for a while yet. Twelve weeks is the accepted time for it to work and I think that is only the beginning - after that you get into normal, then happy and joyful and these become the new normal. See how you feel after six months and in the meantime, watch for the moments of feeling good and see how those moments get longer, easier to hold on to.

Would I ever come off Flu? No chance! Wouldn't want to risk the hell of getting on to it again!

Good luck and stick with the plan. You know you're worth it.

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Thanks so much for the reply it Gives me hope that things will improve and I really need that right now! It’s so hard, I take my hat off to anyone who suffers with anxiety and depression it’s a horrible

Illness that I wouldn’t wish on my worst enemy, Nor these Prozac side effects for that matter! God only knows how I’ve managed to drag myself to work and keep up with my commitments lately, just feel like I can’t carry on like this for much longer. I’m going to stay positive though and keep going, good luck to anyone else going through the same thing.

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi. Haven’t posted for a few weeks as I have had flu. I am at 14 weeks on 20 mg. I had every horrible side effect and extreme anxiety and panic probably until about week 10/11. However just before I got flu things started to improve. Panic tried to start each morning but I was able to cope. By the time the afternoon came I felt really positive! Try to hang on in there it will get better. I had a high temperature with flu and panic came back with a vengeance but it is settling again . So many people felt as you do but are now enjoying life again. Just believe it will work. We can’t all be wrong! Xx
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi Carl

i was reading your posts and it makes me feel better and hopeful. I ve just completed week 18 on 20mg and first 10 weeks it was hell on Earth.. But slowly i start to have a good moments and than hours and than days.. But now it goes down again, feeling hopeless and teary, scared that i wont ever be able to be myself again..

I really appreciate if you would respond and update on your recovery to give me some hope..

Thank you

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

forgot to say after some discussion on here I’ve started taking kalms pharmacist said it was ok they do seem to take the edge off you get that desperate you’ll try anything x
    Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up