been on meds for 2 months its the worse

Posted , 5 users are following.

hello im glad i was able to join this group and see others having issues like me. this medication was provided to me by a new physiatrist i met. so let me go do my back story. about 5 years ago i had these weird things thinking something was up with me. i finally did an MRI nothing came back like the doctor said. he prescribed me paroxetine.  ive been on that for last 5 years. i also have thyroid. so i go to my thyroid doctor and i tell her i want to get off this med. she helps me with getting off by prescribing me  wellbutrin xl300 and weaning off the paroxetine.in December 28 2017  boy i went through alot coming off paroxetine.  a lot of withdraws.  well then goofy me decided wellbutrin was making my bones hurt.  i stop it cold turkey. in January  then around February 2018. i cant sleep insomnia, fast heart beat a lot of anxiety. my wife make me visit the psychiatrist. she know knows i am off paroxetine. she lowers my wellbutrin xl from 300 to 150. says its too much and to take it during the day. she then prescribes me gabapentin for anxiety. the first month march 2018 i took it no problems, made me sleepy, when i go back to the psychiatrist. she wants me to take 3 a day. i agreed but here is what changed told her let me on the weekend start to see what happens. i  start taking my first 2 at night. boy was that the worse night ever. more anxiety unable to sleep. i got scared. i was like no way am i not taking 2 anymore. i went back to 1 a night. but then i felt weird and unable to sleep. starting taking 1 a night for a week. then i was feeling weird. i was a cry baby. i cried like a baby needing attention. i pour my heart of to Jesus because this weird feeling was not cool. i hated to feel like this. then i stop for 2 days. then i was having anxiety then dumb me took 2 pills. and sleep all night. weird i said so the next day, i take 2 more at bedtime.  my legs are burning i could not move well. i was hot sweaty i had more anxiety. i went to sleep around 4am. but sleep on the couch. woke up asked my boss if i can take a day off. she said yes. not we are now in May 2018. i hate this med makes me nausea. i still cry at times like a baby. and the last few days i feel like my brain is slowly responding. when i read i have to read again. i feel bad very cloudy thoughts. i feel very different. i dont know what it is. its the worse. i hate this medication i go back to the physiatrist on monday 21 may. to give her all these weird feeling. im scared afraid, reading all these stories you all have posted. i should of followed up on this med. i will not leave a doctor office until i read side effects on meds. i know some do different to others but i so wish i would of read up on this first. hopefully all this can go away. again i was not given for no pain was only given because of anxiety. now i am not sure if it makes a difference but the one who prescribed is not the actually doctor she is MSN, APRN, FNP-BC. we talk in the room and she sends out the medication to my local pharmacy. so here is my little story on this nast medication gabapentin. have a nice day. i am from georgia. and 39 yr old male. in case anyone wanted to know. have a nice day and God bless you

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Sorry you've been through all this for your all anxiety and all it seems to have done is cause you more anxiety> Have you tried any natural herbs or practicing mindfulness. I have just started mindfulness and I am finding it helps. I am bipolar and struggle everyday but have got myself down to one 125 mg. pill of fluoextine (Prozac) a day and have been doing just fine with that and soon hope to get off of it as well. I have been trying to taper off all of my meds and I have a lot. It is a long slow process. I still a large dose of Gabapentin to get off of as well. I will try to replace my meds (poison as I call them) with natural herbs where possible and and mindfulness. I also live in pain 24/7 so I don't if there is something natural that is strong enough to deal with my pain. Good luck as deal with the minefield of drugs because it is certaonly not easy. As I have discovered over the past 20+ years. The one thing I have learned is that I no longer want to be on any of these poisons because their side effects are most times worst that the drug.

• Posted

I'm sorry you're dealing with so much. Gabapentin has a wide range of side effects, everyone varies as to which they get and to what level. First, it's got a "short half-life" which means it's out of your body about 4-6 hours later (but it can still cause a lot of problems. don't let that phrase fool you). So it's normally prescribed to be taken 3-4 times a day, at equal amounts. If you vary between the dose, you'll have problems, which is probably what's happening to you. If someone wants to get off it, you should taper or decrease at abound 10% or less. Take 2-4 weeks before you do this again. For me, I wait a month, so every month I drop 100 mg. I was at 2700 mg for post shingles nerve pain called PHN. It's only approved by the FDA for 3 conditions, one is epilepsy. However,doctors prescribe it for many, many other uses, never approved by the FDA, that's called "off label". It normally doesn't help,so they add more. Mistake. Doctors also don't believe it causes side effects, Another big mistake.  If you do more research you'll find what many of us go through. You can taper off this successfully, but it takes time and emotional strength. But it's worth it as you'll find yourself feeling better.  Good luck.

• Posted

Hi Enrique   Great story,are you still taking the Gabapentin for your anxiety ??????

Rgrds  john

• Posted

I am not. This medication was the worst I have ever taken. More anxiety and more fear. And also burning in my leg. Then I felt dumb at times unable to read properly. I wanted to sleep but then after that more anxiety. I was done with med. Finally gave it up. I am fighting my own anxiety without medication taking linden tea to calm my anxiety. And of course with prayer and God's help first. My wife is also a helpful as well. Hope all goes well with you. God bless you 

• Posted

Thank you for your reply.Hope everything goes well. They say time is a healer God Bless

John

• Posted

Whoa. This drug is not for anxiety. It is a nerve blocker. Originally prescribed for seizures. I would demand to see an actual doctor. I have never heard of anyone prescribed Gabapentin for anxiety. I worked at the VA mental health, so I know all the meds they prescribed.

• Posted

Sadly, I’ve read of numerous people who were given it for anxiety or as a sleep aid. That’s the hard part of being in several groups regarding this drug. I’m astounded at the ignorance of the medical community. I worked in healthcare for 30 years so I’ve had a healthy skepticism, but I never expected to find this.
    • Posted

I went last week to give my 2 cents on this medication. I met with another one of these , MSN, APRN, FNP-BC not the actual doctor and I never explain what I have been reading on here but she said. Oh we have been giving gabapetin to our patients and no one has problems with this. I kind of know she was kind of sarcastic but decided not to go ever again. To this location. 
  • Posted

Have you considered essential oils? There are some great ones out there for anxiety.
    • Posted

Not really but any tips please that you can provide I will gladly look at thanks.
    • Posted

Doterre has a great line. Google them. There is one called Calm. But any Lavender oil from a naturalpathic store is great.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.