Been on Mirtazapine for 4 weeks (should i add fluoxetine ) advice!!!

Posted , 2 users are following.

Okay. So short story i have had panic attacks since my parents divorce 2007. Was on fluoxetine until 2012 and i just stopped taking it. bad idea. Have been dealing with anxiety, depression (suicidal thougbts), and social issues since. I checked myself into a hospital last month for horrible anxiety and suicidal thoughts and they started me on 7.5mg of mirtazapine and i upped it 8 days later. This friday will be my 5th week on it all together. And my anxiety is better and i am better. But i am still having anxiety just not as bad and i still have suicidal thoughts (which i know i wont do it because i am a chicken) well my psychiatrist appt isnt until may 8th and im on cancellation list. I was thinking of what to ask him. I was thinking maybe i should add fluoxetine to the mirtazapine? Idk. What yall think?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Good morning Smit!

I have taken fluoxetine for Depression for 8 years until it stopped working for me. As far as I know from my research it's mostly used for depression. That being said, Mirtazapine has helped me get rid of my suicidal thoughts, but I've been taking 15 mg/day in addition to Wellbutrin and Sertraline and Clonazepam.

Sertraline is comparable to Fluoxetine, so you can try adding fluoxetine back into your cocktail. But I think it wont help with your panic attacks. How much were you thinking? 20 mg? I would start with 20mg and see how you feel.

For me the anxiety is curbed by taking clonazepam 4x a day at 0.5mg. But that's a "controlled substance" (at least here in Canada) and you will have to see a doctor to get a Rx.

If you are still having suicidal thoughts, even if you know you wont act on them, I would call your doctors office and make them aware of the fact. Because that's an emergency situation and they will probably squeeze you in earlier than May 8th!

If they ask you to go to the next ER, do it! They will ask you a series of questions and if you can present them with your facts (and convince them that your thoughts are something you wont act on) they will very likely give you something to help with your anxiety until you see your GP. They may prescribe lorazepam, diazepam or any of those.

I've been in the situation and it's worth going. Even if they just tide you over until you see your GP. Go today!!!

• Posted

Hey sorry its been awhile since i replied. I couldnt get in to the dr any sooner but on may 8th he told me to up my dose to 30 mg. tonight will be my 3rd time taking 30 mg. I am very tired, drunk feeling, anxious, and still no energy etc. Im not sure if i should still take this ??
    • Posted

Do you mean you are drunk feeling during the day or at night after taking your dose?

Take them a few days longer. After a while you get used to the higher dose and you wont feel so drowsy anymore. I had the same with 7.5 and then 15 mg. The body gets used to the dose. Anxiety should be a bit better, but if that's still an issue for you, call your doctors office and ask for an appointment. 

• Posted

Well i take the medicine around 10 pm and since ive upped it i get drunk feeling but i cant seem to go to sleep for a while but im tired its weird. And then the next day i feel drunk like. I have a problem sitting on couch alllllll day long its so hard to get up and do things its annoyiNg. But when i do go do things i feel better. Lol i am going to keep trying it. I was asked if i wanted to up the dose or change to fluoxetine. Ugh. I just want my life back. I used to be so motivated and hard worker. Now im unemployed dropped out of college. Idk what to do because i signed up for classes starting august and im scared i wont be able to sit in class again

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.