Been on Mirtazapine for just over a month. Do I need to taper?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi all,

I am in the middle of a bout of severe depression. Citalopram has always worked for me in the past but this time it didn't so GP suggested I try Mirtazapine as I was not sleeping well either.

My GP instructed me to take 15mg for one week, then 30mg which I took for just over two weeks. As I was not getting on with it my GP then told me to reduce to 15mg again for 1 week and since then I have been on 7.5mg.

It is helping me sleep but I am certain it is making me groggy in the mornings due to the sedative affect.

I am back on Citalopram now (Doc said to give it another go and wait longer this time) but I would like to come off the Mirtazapine. As I have not been on it that long, and most of that at relatively low dose, do I still need to taper?

Thanks in advance.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi David. I had similar problems with feeling groggy in the morning. The best thing I did while using mirtazapine and not trying to taper off totally, was to make sure I took it between 6 and 7PM and not later at night past 10PM which was causing me to feel groggy and exhausted. Yes the immediate drowsiness it generates within the first two hours can wear off, or be a pain at a time you don't want it, but it prevented my morning grogginess.

If you are already doing this or this doesn't help then short of using a stimulant like caffeine which can have its own drawbacks, you could consider tapering off. Id see your GP and tell him that even at 7.5mg you struggle with grogginess (provided you have tried taking it earlier).

Also, if you have work or some kind of required activity that you do in the early evenings ... and mirtazapine hits like a truck and knocks you out, so there isn't a possibility to try taking it earlier. Then yes, you may need to taper off.

• Posted

Hi David,

Check out my reply to Bettyboop under the withdrawal topic. It will help you come off this poison. Good luck.

• Posted

I been on mirtazapine 7.5 for 2 months and i had to taper down to 3.75 now down 0 and i feel alot of withdrawals been off 4 months

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.