Been on orlistat for 5 months...

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi everyone.

I have been on Orlistat for 5 months now. The first month was great. I basically lost just under a stone. Which was amazing. However since then the weight loss hasnt been going so great. I would go for weigh ins and either put on (?!?!?!?!?!?!) or not lose that much so my weight has basically hovered around 130kg since the first months big loss. I havnt been doing anything different. I walk for 40 mins each way to work. Avoid chocolate (if I do have chocolate I have afew jaffa cakes), fizzy drinks (which I replaced with OJ) and I have never been into chrisps. I dont know where I am going wrong. I joined the gym and have a 6 week review tomorrow so we shall see how my hovering around 130kg is going.

I was wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience? I don't think I have lost any weight as the difference in clothing I felt in the first month has not been repeated since...

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

with the walking and gym maybe you're gaining some muscle weight?

change your diet a bit to give it a little kick start perhaps?

good luck

• Posted

Just a thought - have you checked how many calories you're eating each day? Orange juice is really high in sugar, and therefore calories. I'm only on day two of Orlistat, but I'm sure low fat is only part of the story - I'm going to be going low cal too. I'm aiming for 1500 cals per day, which has been a successful limit for me in the past. From reading earlier posts, it sounds like others who have been successful have used this strategy.
  • Posted

Hi Vincent

Well done for the initial weight loss. You need to look at what you are eating all the time, not just the obvious bad things like chocolate, biscuits and crisps. It's amazing how much fat and calories are in some meals. Doing the exercise is going to help you burn up more calories, but as already mentioned, muscle weighs heavier than fat, so you may have lost inches instead of pounds. It's a good idea to measure yourself once a month as well as weighing in, to see how it's going.

Make sure you're not snacking in between meals - always a bit tricky that one, so easy to do, so easy to forget you've had something! :oops:

Good luck.

• Posted

Hi Vincent. It's still good to be that much lighter than when you started but I can understand your frustration. I agree with the previous comment regarding orange juice, whilst it's healthy it does have a lot of natural sugar and therefore calories. I like Robinsons squash with no added sugar as a substitute for the fizzy drinks (much cheaper than OJ as well smile )

You might want to check with your doc at the next visit re the calories as men do need more than women.

Hang on in there and change a few things around and I'm sure you body will respond favourably

• Posted

I agree calory intake is also important too. Try and eat a wide variety of things otherwise your body gets used to what you are eating.

I cut down on my milk intake by mno added sugar squash up in a used drinks bottle and take them to work. Decide on what things you can do without and give yourself a treat to look forward to at the end of the week when you have been good. Keep checking fat content and calories on everything and find lower fat/calory alteranatives There are lots of things that you can buy that vary alot. For example some jaffa cake sort of biscuits are cheaper but higher in fat and calories.

Have you tried keeping a diary I did this for the first few months logging fat and calories I never thought I'd have the time but you just make time. I also used a A5 size A-Z book and logged things in it to make my personal calory/fat book. It took time to begin with but soon I only had to add something new and it helped me realise that very similar things can vary in fat/calories depending on brands and type.

Good luck and keep us posted on how you get on smile smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.