Been on propranolol 10mg once per day since august for anxiety. wanna stop it now

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hello guys I have been taking one 10mg pill per day since last august. I caught glandular fever last June which caused me to have horrendous anxiety so I was put on propranolol. I asked my Dr if I could stop it and he said just stop when you want. Is this the case can you just stop it? After all on the leaflet it tells you not to. I also have an under active thyroid caused by the glandular fever so on levothyroxine 75mcg. Anyway I didn't take my pill yesterday the propranolol and feel okay should I just leave it off today as well. Any advice welcome

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Hi Jelly93, I think you can trust your doctor's advice. Stopping the Propanalol suddenly shouldn't cause you problems at that dose and for the reason it was prescribed. If you really wanted to you could taper it off more gradually by taking one every other day, then one every 2 days etc. Speak with your GP again if you find symptoms returning, but hopefully it will have done its job to help you over the acute anxiety now.

The caution in the patient medicine leaflet is aimed primarily at those who have been prescribed Propranalol for high blood pressure. Stopping Propanalol suddenly in those circumstances would definitely not be a good idea and certainly not without medical advice!

I was on a higher dose of Propranalol prescribed to help reduce migraine frequency for 20+ years (40mg) I think. Eventually it slowed my heart down too much and a Cardiologist stopped it suddenly but did replace it with something else. Propranalol is one of those great drugs that was developed for one thing (to treat high blood pressure in this case) but once it was in general use patients began reporting unexpected positive side effects on seeming unrelated conditions. Doctor's realised they could use the drug to help with these conditions at much lower doses than those needed to bring high blood pressure under control. Hence, you and I and many others have benefited from a drug side effect!!

I do hope you are fully recovered from the Glandular Fever; viruses like that can really muck your system up for a fair while sometimes. I had ME for 16+ years after a nasty dose of flu but those years are thankfully well behind me now. I just need to remember to be kind to myself on occasion and listen to my body.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.