been on quetiapine 25mg for 4 nights now and anxiety heightened :-(

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi I was diagnosed with ocd six years ago and have been on 60mg Fluoxetine. Which had been working well until recently. I went to see my pdoc and he has added 25mg quetiapine at night and 25mg in the morning. I haven't as yet taken the morning tablet as the one I take in the evening is making me feel really irritable and causing my anxiety to go sky high. The nausea feeling I first got has subsided luckily but I can't bring myself to take my morning dose... I am going to call my pdoc on Monday but I wanted to know if it's normal for anxiety to be heightened when treatment is first started?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi i was put on it for anxiety but I think a side affect can b wot UR describing, I wpuod recommend U take the daily dose and c how U feel as it does take a couple weeks to work. But I totally get U not feeling like taking it, spk to the doctor as U plan to mAyb they will change medication, however I know a lot of ppl on it for anxiety and OCD which I have also and it has been s success. Mayb U need to b taken off the fluoxetine and put on venflaxatine Becoz the two work v well together. I hope U get this sorted PLS let me no how it goes.
    • Posted

Thank you for replying Sarah. The anxiety is horrible but will Def speak with the Dr monday. I'm hoping it's something that will pass and I just need to give myself time. One thing I'm not very good at x
  • Posted

However if U feel the fluoxetine was working better alone U may just need the quetapeine reduced and then stopped
  • Posted

Hi Michelle, my daughter took Quitiapine for about 3 weeks ,she was on a really low dose 5mgs x twice daily but it made her very agitated and agressive. We have taken her off it as she was like someone possessed!! We were led to believe it was a wonder drug that would help mydaughters psychotic problems but it just caused more problems. She has been on Olanzapine for 4 years, originally it was great but now it is not effective and she gets voices all the time.
    • Posted

Hi I'm not sure if I have now posted this twice but my phone is playing up. Sorry to hear the medication didn't work. I actually feel awful today, worse than when I first started taking it. I'm not going to be on it much longer either. Did it take long for the medication to leave your daughters system?
    • Posted

Hi Michelle,

My daughter was only on a very low dose of Quitiapine [5mg x twice daily] so it didn't seem to take too long, maybe 10 days to get it out of her system. She was extremely agitated and stroppy when she was taking it although her CPN said it wasn't known to cause irritability but

it defo affected her.

• Posted

Hi judge

I spoke with my pdoc yesterday and he's told me to come off it as I wasn't tolerating it. Certainly feel more together today but not quite right.. Back to the drawing board. Thank u for replying x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.