Been on sertraline for 4 weeks (50)mg and feeling worse than ever!

Posted , 5 users are following.

I'm 18 and have had anxiety for a few years but 4 weeks ago I had a very bad panic attack and decided to get medication,  first week was awful but I improved then mid week 3 I got worse and gradually my anxiety is now 24/7, my cousin committed suicide last year and it's really  hit me now to the point where I'm panicked all time! I'm not suicidal by the way I just keep thinking about death and how I don't want to die , I'm scared of everything....my doctor upped me to 100 mg but I'm waiting to see my therapist first. Feel hopeless 😭 I can't do anything anymore 😭 Is it too soon to say the medication isn't working? 

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Anxietyis such a scary thing to go through and it’s so important that you have someone to support you and talk to so if you haven’t already done it, open up and talk to someone, perhaps your mum or dad or a friend etc.  There are lots of good cbt videos on YouTube and relaxation videos that really help.   It’s  a horrible place to be but it will get better and the meds really do help when you are are the right dose so stick with it.   Millions of people suffer with it so you are not alone.  X
    • Posted

Thank you Laura for your reply , I've been weaning off it but recently discovered I may just have a phobia of death and it was making my anxiety worse , I'm seeing a psychiatrist tomorrow so fingers crossed I'll be sorted out x

• Posted

I'm also extremely close to my amazing mum and dad and boyfriend who have been through every moment holding my hand through it ... I tell them absolutely everything aswell ...always have , they truly are my best friends x

• Posted

Most likely the meds are not working yet.

I urge you to do as your doctor suggested and up it to 100mg.  I was the same as you and 10 days after having the courage to up the dosage I started feeling much better.

Go for it!

• Posted

Hey popwop, I think you could be right , I'm going to see what a psychiatrist says and I'll let you know , thank you for your response x

• Posted

Hi Hannah,

I

My heart goes out to you concerning your cousin.

I’be Been on Sertraline just over  a month and I still

Feel weird, Axiours, not all day but it comes in waves.

Like I wrote before on this forum i’ve been on many different  Antidepressants but never like this. 

The side affects seen to go on and on. 

I’m Seeing my GP  on Tuesday to see what he says.  

Not holding out much hope, However, i’m really need to stick to this medication because I was so depressed, Axiours and I also have OCD. I really understand how you feel but hang on in there, if it wasn’t for this forum I may have given up. 

I’m sending you Gods blessing, your not alone.🙏

• Posted

Hi blondey , you poor thing , in my experience with the sertraline the physical side effects did eventually stop so if you feel like yours aren't or the meds aren't for you ask your gp , I pray we all get better , this is one of th hardest things to ever go through and I 100% know how you feel x

• Posted

It can take 6 to 8 weeks for medication to kick in symptoms can get worse before better I have had a few panic attacks on this medication and shaky sick feeling you have to decide if the risks outweigh the benefits
    • Posted

Hey Joanne , I think you might be right so I'm gonna see a psychiatrist tomorrow and see what their advice is , thank you for responding x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.