Been prescribed Citalopram.

Posted , 4 users are following.

Saw the doctor today and went through medication options, as a lot of you will know I am taking Diazepam already but it's not really doing the job after 18 years and the doc wants to add something else.

I am horribly phobic of meds but this anxiety is crippling and wrestling with agorapobia is so hard, I am due to restart CBT next week and jut hoping I can get there.

Anyway I had been reading about various meds, I suggested Amitriptyline but he said he doesn't like it, I asked about Lexapro and he said his concern is that if it doesn't suit me coming off to switch to something else might be tricky and cause brain zaps...lovely!

He wants me on an anti-psychotic really, I must stress I am not psychotic, I fear psychosis but am assured I don't have it, he just thinks a small dose would calm me but I am way too scared to take one of those.

So he suggested Citalopram, I can't go on like this but gosh I am so scared of trying it, even looking at the prescription revved up my panic, I wish I wasn't such a wimp sad

Does anyone have any experience of Citalopram? Especially for anxiety and agoraphobia, I am so afraid, I already decided I am not starting it until Monday when I know there is a doctor in the surgery because I feel safer that way in case I have a really bad reaction.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I take Xanax....but only when I feel "panicy", or those good ole chest flutter happen, and my prain can't turn off the looming feeling of Death! It does help in a way, about 20-30mins pass and I'm left feeling pretty mellow. The dosage is small, I even break them in half if I don't want to go to a full on Realx mode.

I'm scred to try anything else, as I know Xanax is just to take the edge off, and it certainly does the trick. Sometimes I wish it worked faster for that instant releif, but 30mins isn't bad. It can be if the attack is bad, tho. Then it takes a little longer for me to calm down and not think the next breath I take could be my last.

• Posted

Bella just take it. Any improve,ent will be somwelcomed. It can absolutely be a life changer in a great way for you. Dont listen to the phibias anymore. They have trapped you until now. Over power all of it and take the pill and keep following the regimen and hopefully in five weeks from this moment you will come on here and make a thread of how your life is beautiful now. Any reaction you have wont feel as bad as you have.. to be honest. Go for it!
    • Posted

You have to oush thru any unfamiliar feeling for the five weeks okay. Your body has to reregukate, thise arent side effects some of it is reconfiguring of your hormones and such. Know you have intense anxiety and any i mean any thing you feel that isnt the same exact as what your used too will trigger little anxiety issues, flip it all the bird sort of speak bella, it will adjust. Let it adjust. And in the meantime keep seeing the iurself soing all thise beautiful and fun things your used to do or want to do.  Please allow the needed time for this to work. I am so proud of you. I am also praying for you cause love  its about time you get your life back! 
  • Posted

Dear Bella,

Citalopram is an excellent anti-depressant which the majority of patients find very helpful.

I know you're phobic about meds but please try this!

Glad you refused the anti-psychotic - you don't need it.

Keep us posted !

Lots of love from Tess xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

• Posted

Hi,

I've been on citalopram for over a year now & im fine on them. I started on 10mg & recently been increased to 20mg

I suffer with really bad Health anxiety, I think I'm going to die all the time, I'm obsessed I'm going to have a heart attack and leave my family behind. I'm

32 and have a 6 year old.

I've had numerous ECGs and everything is fine but I dis believe the doctors and the results, since I've been increased I'm loads better

Give it a try, I didn't want to do medication but I would do anything to help me feel better & it absolutely has. Still have my off days but it's not every day

Hope my advise has helped x

• Posted

Thank you everyone, I absolutely cannot go on living like this, I am currently simply sat in my own living room feeling really edgy, uneasy and unable to relax, that is no life at all.

I'm going to have to bite the bullet and give it a try but being the worrier that I am I am not doing it until Monday when I know there is a doctor in my local surgery in case anything goes wrong, I know I am being irrational but I can't help it, out of hours doctor services here are awful.

Hopefully this medication will be helpful for me and I can eventually start to live some kind of decent life again, I got a few seconds of happiness today, I let go of my husbands arm whilst out a few times and whilst in the supermarket I actually stopped and took time to pay attention to a few things, those little things mean the world to me but I need to feel like that every day, I need so much more peace in my life than this so it's time to brave it and take the steps to get my life back xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.