Been prescribed Citalopram for anxiety over insomnia

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi all,

I have been reading in this forum and it has really helped, thank you everyone.

At the begining of January I started waking in the middle of the night with stomach pain, trapped wind, I would have to get up and take Gaviscon to help relieve it and would have to sit downstairs for 1-2 hours whilst it passed before going back to bed.

This severley disrupted my sleep and I began to worry about it. After 2-3 weeks this got better but I had developed so much anxiety over my sleep that my sleep actually began to get worse. For the last 2-3 weeks I have had terrible problems sleeping, I go to bed my usual time between 10-11 but do not get any sleep until around 4am and sleep for 1-2 hours.

I have been given some Zopiclone which worked well to begin with, now when I use it I get 2-3 hours deep sleep before waking and struggling to get back to sleep.

I am going to CBT sessions to help me deal with my anxiety but this is going to last 6 weeks and I really struggle with the idea of not sleeping well for this long. I worry about my sleep all day and its really getting me down, I seem to have had constant heart palputations for the last 2 weeks due to the anxiety.

I have been to the GP a few times and they have now suggested using Citalopram to help with the anxiety, which in turn will hopefully help me sleep. I have never really suffered from anxiety or depression before (although I do get quite anxious about my health sometimes) so its not like this is an on-going situation.

I have been reading a lot today about Citalopram and its side effects. One of the most prominent seems to be insomnia which is the thing I am trying to solve! What are your thoughts on this? I feel I should listen to the GP and take Citalopram but after reading on this forum it makes me question it.

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi  I have been prescribed this for my insomnia which started in January due to cancer scan and have lymphoma I don't sleep all night as I got into my head one night when I had a few bad night experience, of not sleeping, I am depressed and anxious and at my wits end also worried if I will ever be cured of this insomnia, I have been taking zoplidem to help with some sleep as exhausted, can anyone give me advice or help, I have tried herbal  and all other treatments will citalopram work for me? Any advice Nigel

• Posted

I had similar problems.I started with insomnia and became anxious over not sleeping or thinking i wouldnt.The doc gave me citalopram but i think this heightened my anxiety so i have zopicline but now im anxious about becoming addicted! I only have a weeks worth.He also gave me propalanol to stop daytime anxiety but i feel this makes me feel worse very spaced out and blurred vision.So today im not going to take it(only had 3 days)...I feel like im stuck in sn endless round of medication and i dont know if im actually ferling better.Still on citalopramnow for 8 weeks and somedays i dont have any anxious feelings .The doc wont give you it if he didnt think it woukd help.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.