Been prescribed propranolol for anxiety, unsure of how much to take?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I've been prescribed 40mg to take an hour or so before a "stressful situation". 

I have a big presentation to do in January, but I go home for Christmas at the end of the week, without any "stressful situations" to try it out with. 

So I took 40mg yesterday evening to test the effects. 

I was just wondering if I was likely to feel anything not having been in an anxious situation? 

How much do people usually take before public speaking? 

Any advice? 

Also do side effects such as nausea tend to go over time or should I just stop taking asap, 

Thanks!

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Ana!

i am new to propanolol so my advice is necessarily limited but it seems that everyone reacts differently to this dose.  Some are taking only half a 10mg tablet and is does the trick.  Some are on 40mg three times a day and that works too.  I was prescribed 40mg once a day for heart arythmias but found it completely zombified me, plus reduced my BP to a very low level, so I now split the dose and take 20mg twice a day.  It seems to work but I still feel very tired and not really well.  I reckon some people are just more sensitive to the drug.  Others with more esperience will no doubt give you better information and advice but I would say experiment and see what works for you.  Also, take into account that the effects seem slow to show, I find I am most affected by the drug about two hours after taking it,

• Posted

Hi Ana, 

I'm on day 15 of 40mg twice a day for migraine prevention.  I feel sick but haven't actually been sick and generally feel rubbish.  Very light headed and unwell.  I'm back to see my Dr Monday to discuss coming off it.  Obviously I don't take it for anxiety but to be honest I don't feel worse or better for the hour or so after taking it although I've read on here that some people feel an almost immediate benefit.

• Posted

Hi Ana,

Yes as mentioned by others, if you want to avoid possible side effects, a smaller dose may be wise. Propranolol is not a "feel good" sort of drug.

It produces no really noticable effect of "I feel really relaxed or chilled out".

It simply prevents some of the physical effects of anxiety or panic.

In particular I find, it stops my heart racing before or during a stressfull event.

Hence I can then carry on much more normally & in control.

For me, I can achieve this effect with only 5mg perhaps 30 mins or so before the event, (Like public speaking etc).

I have tried 10 or 20 mg but found the side effects quite distracting & not worth it.

Good luck!!!

Terry

• Posted

hi, that's interesting, sorry for the late response, I was just wondering what you'd recommend for an event where you are unsure of the specific time of the public speaking event? I have a presentation but am unsure of when I am giving it within a space of two hours, should I just stagger the dose?...cant seem to find much about this anywhere really
  • Posted

Hi Ana,

I only ever use quite small doses as mentioned. For eg usually only 5mg to a max of 10mg ideally at least 20-30 mins before event. It then seems to continue its effect on me for at least 3hrs & probably much longer, maybe even 5-6 hrs. Good luck!!!

• Posted

Ah really? That's crazy, I've been perscribed 40mg, so have been either trying out two 20mgs or 4 x 10mg, it's really interesting how some people only need 5mg...I'm really unsure of how to test it out without risking not having an effect at all rolleyes

So you'd think if I took 40mg it should have an effect for the 2.5 hours :p

• Posted

Hi Ana, Yes 40 mg is going to stay in your system for a lot longer than 2 or 3 hrs. Prob more like 6-10 hrs. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.