Been reading Gallbladder removal horrors?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I had my gallbladder out around a year and a half ago. I was first admitted to hospital after having what I thought was a long and extreme bout of indigestion. I'd suffered frequently from terrible indigestion for years, somtimes it would last for up to 10 hours, but it always eventually eased off so I put it down to nothing sinister. This time, however, it didn't go away. for 24 hours I lay in the foetal position on my bed, crying and praying for that glorious moment when the indigestion just went away. It was upon visiting my father who took one look at me and noticed that I had yellowing in the whites of my eyes and around my mouth that he insisted I go to hospital. My gallbladder was full of an abundance of smaller stones which had formed into one large mass and caused my Gallbladder to become infected and was starting to affect my liver.

There was never any question as to whether I would need my gallbladder removed. It was only a question of when. I was morbidly obese and had to lose as much weight as possible while I was on the NHS waiting list, which was for around 5 1/2 months. I'd read a lot of horror stories about people having theirs removed and ending up feeling worse after having done. I got it done none the less because I didn't think it was even possible for me to feel worse. I was in hospital at least once a month in excruciating pain, even while on a very low fat diet. I also suffered nausea and often became jaundiced. When the day finally came I was terrified that this was going to be the end of one problem and the beginning of another.

Thankfully I couldn't have been more wrong. 

I was walked into a small side room before my surgery where I was put on a bed and had canulas inserted into my hands. The doctors assured me that I would soon begin to feel drowsy.... that is the last thing I remember. When I woke, although my incision scars were sore and I had a slight pain which felt a little like my gallbladder attacks had, I really didn't feel too bad (Aside from dizziness from the anasthetic). I even had the strength to give my mum the finger when she made a cheeky remark. After a good sleep, I felt infinitely better and went home the next day.

Since my surgery I have experienced no indigestion at all (Until I got pregnant!). I can eat normally and drink without feeling ill. So, to anybody who has been reading the horror stories that I did, just keep in mind that it is mainly those that had a bad experience that post their stories online, The majority of people that have a good experience the way I did will no longer feel the need to even think about such a crap time in their life. I have no once regretted removing the damn thing!

6 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

The bad experiences being posted are clearly not helping people who are facing surgery. However it's also obvious that discussions will always tend to revolve around problematic rather than positive outcomes, and it's also obviously helpful for those with ongoing problems to share them.

I have the same outcome as you.. no indigestion and no feeling of queasiness when eating and drinking.. and of course no more debilitating pain attacks. It's just like being a normal person. I'm still amazed every day, but the surgeon is not surprised because this is the norm.

• Posted

Thanks for posting as we really do need the other side of the story - most postings are around problems, as the people with them will naturally be posting more than those without as they are the ones needing support. It is useful to know the pros and cons of course, but I really appreciated the positive stories and support from people here to get me through my own experience of gallstones. Best wishes to you and your family.

• Posted

Thanks for letting us know your story anneka. There are alot of people like you who are better following surgey and its good to hear of their stories.

Not everyone knows who to speak to which is why I believe these forums are invaluable as you're speaking to people who are suffering like you and it makes you not feel so alone or so scared of what is going to happen next

I know there's alot of people on here who stay on this site to help others which I believe is truly a wonderful thing to do.

I hope you continue to stay well.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.