Been really ill flu 4 wks had to stop antitriptaline straight away after 10 yrs on haven't bin well

Posted , 6 users are following.

Am 49 lady with alot health issue low ammiune system so when ill with stuff limited to what doc can give me bin 4 wks flu and sinus trouble so doc had to stop my antitriptaline to put me on week course of tabs

Bin really ill don't know if coz of flu tabs or becoz doc stopped my medication straight away

Just bin nightmare as bin in antitriptaline for over 9 years how long does it take to come out yr system sorry I listened to doc as I've hardly sleep right in a month which is having affect on my other problems any one had similar issues driving me mad

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I don't think you should ever just stop amitripalyine straight away, especially after 9 years. You will be getting some rough withdrawal symptoms which can also mimic flu states (sweats, shakes etc). 

You should have really tapered down very slowly.

I would maybe phone 111 and get some advice asap?

• Posted

Amitriptyline is a very old drug, an anti-depressant which also is found to be helpful with nerve pain and sleep. Your body after 9 years has become dependent on it and your Doctor should have been fully aware that no patient should have to go cold turkey off it. I do not know what contra-indications the Flu tablets have with Amitriptyline so cannot comment on that. Yes, you will be going through withdrawals on top of the Flu symptoms (some of which are very similar to having Flu) and the length of time varies from patient to patient as to when withdrawals end. Did your Doctor say you could go back on Amitriptyline when you have finished the Flu treatment? If not, you should telephone and ask him/her whether you can continue to take it - if it has been helping you for 9 years I cannot think of a reason why you should not be able to take it again when you finish your course of Flu treatment but the Doctor may have a good reason and you should check this out. Ring the Surgery on Monday and see if you can sort this out because in my opinion you are suffering unnecessarily. I do hope you start to feel better soon and wish you well.
  • Posted

Hi Tracy, omg stopping cold turkey after 9 years is bad. You will experience pain in every bone and muscle in your body, cramps nausea, bowel issues headaches these may last many weeks. Isuggest ring your gp to get some help with the withdrawal effects x
  • Posted

Tracy return to your medication if that is what your GP wants you to do, you have been on this drug for nine years so there will be a build up still in your system

These medications have a short life when taken and one of the main thing the drug can do is make you sleep. If your GP wishes you to go back on the drug, take them before bed around one hour before sleep.

Why did the GP give you this medication and hat was your dose ??

BOB

• Posted

Your doctor should have known better than to stop you cold Turkey, you should never do that with Amitryptiline it should be tapered down slowly and if they don't know better then you need a new doctor. I have been on Amitryptiline for a longtime and have never had a problem taking cold and flu medications with it. Go back to your doctor or a new doctor and chat to them about going back on it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.