Been seeing some weird stuff in my vision.

Posted , 6 users are following.

Okay. It’s been a few months now. First symptoms were an onset of Floaters in my vision. Went to the Eye doctor and got an OCT. Everything was normal. Now, my vision is hazy when looking at bright lights and I see rainbow halos around street lamps and other bright lights. Got tested for Acute Glaucoma and was clear. I also notice a smear of light when I’m in the dark and move my eyes away from a light. Another problem I’m having is if I’m looking at a White computer screen and I blink, it seems like the screen flickers. These last few weeks I’ve been waking up with very dry eyes. Anyone know what I’m experiencing or am i going insane? 

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Google posterior vitreous detachment,and no its not the same thing as a detached retna. Symptoms sound similar. I have it.
  • Posted

Im wondering if you do not have 2 things going on. The floaters as part of vitreous degeneration which is a normal natural process. No concerns unless you are having flashes of light and loss of vision. But Im wondering if you dont have dryness and possible corneal dystrophy as well. I would try using a lubricating drop especially before bed but also first thing in the morning and before using the computer if you can. Hope this helps.
    • Posted

I don’t think it’s corneal dystrophy. That usually runs in families and no one in out family has ever had major eye problems that causes them to go blind. I forgot to mention also that i have pretty high myopia and i do have astigmatism
    • Posted

I do have corneal dystrophy while no one else in my family does, so it is possible. Typically you will not go blind from it either. Mine was actually missed for quite some time. Your myopia and astigmatism won't cause dryness or floaters, the floaters are related to the inside of the eye ( your vitreous) and dryness is related to the front surface of the eye.

• Posted

I sounds like you are experiencing posterior Vitreous detachment or PVD. I have this and am in the process of a PVD. The dry eyes could be a separate issue.
    • Posted

I appreciate the responses. I am 21 with pretty high myopia. I've been to the eye doctor twice now and both times they have said that my eyes look in perfect health. I am due for my annual checkup next month so I will go again. Could the PVD cause rainbow halos around lights and haziness around lights at night time?

• Posted

Mine are only colored when they are very bright and close, otherwise its just glare. I am usually not an anxious person, but it is my vision and I do need it if I am going to become a surgeon. 
    • Posted

I think it is a possible cause. I never had glare or halos until the PVD process started which I believe has been caused by the liquefication of the Vitreous humor. I don't recall but have they ruled out glaucoma for you?

• Posted

Yes they have. My IOP was at a 14 when they checked me for it. They looked into my eye as well to look at the optic nerve and it was healthy. He also used a slit lamp to look at my cornea and it was fine too. 
  • Posted

I suffer with dry eyes and as a result am sensitive to bright light. I also am very myopic and as a result have vitreous detachment a lot. Really annoying when you are trying to read and this big black blob in front of your eye won’t move! 

If you are very myopic and get lots of floaters you are more prone to retinal detachment. You are usually advised not to to things like bungee jumping and high impact sports as this can increase the risk. I was told to get my eyes checked every three years by an Opthalmologist where they do a number of checks to see how your eye health is.

In regards to the dry eyes, I was told to put a warm flannel or warm eye mask in the morning and evening and wipe the inside of my lids with these preservative free wipes. I also use preservative free eye drops to moisten them.

As for the halos it could be your myopia or astigmatism or dry eyes.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.