Been struggling today

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi all

Not sure if this will be the right group. Anyway I'm on the 4th day of 15mg Mirt. and been off 20mg cit for 11 days. this morning I woke shaking, feeling sick, upset stomach, headache not feeling hungry. No motivation, got to work been getting what I assume is brain zaps like sharp buzzing pains in my head and feeling dizzy and some times loosing my balance. Is this all related to starting mirt. or stopping cit. How do you cope with these brain zaps as it is happening nearly all the time. 

Plus I am still waking several times during the night.

How long does it take for this stuff to get into your system?

Thanks

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hello Tina ...

I think ..only think because you are both A. Coming off Citalopram (or rather have not long come off) AND B. Starting on Mirtazapine you may well be getting some overlapping side effects. One from 'withdrawal' and the other from 'start-up’ ( if that makes sense. A 'double whammy' effect of sorts!

Whether the brain zaps are solely being caused by the Mirtazapine is difficult to say I think ..BUT having read quite a few posts made by fellow members on here does suggest ( as is my experience too) that Mirtazapine has been responsible for some if not all the symptoms you've listed.

Hope that makes some sense and is is some use. Nodoubt other members will contribute and give their thoughts too.

Wishing you all the best in your struggle...

• Posted

Oh forgot to add..

[..”Plus I am still waking several times during the night”...]

This surprises me as Mirtazapine has fairly potent sedative qualities...

[...”How long does it take for this stuff to get into your system?”..]

All depends upon a number of factors, that said the sedative qualities of the drug were immediately noticeable when I took it ...it did knock me out and leave me lethargic during the day.

Take care

• Posted

Thanks I did think It would be a combination of withdrawal and starting. I did notice the sedative effect the first night after about 20 mins but now it is hour and half and I'm still wide awake. 

Lifes a bugger isn't it?

Bed time I suppose or i'll be late for work.

• Posted

Just give it a few days more ..eat and drink well ..make work aware of the fact you're going through an adjustment period so they can be supportive. Be kind to you're and keep a daily journal.

Just my humble thoughts...

Be well and sleep peacefully!

p.s. yes life can be a challenge ..more so for some than others. Take care Tina

• Posted

Hi tina, I am very sorry to hear you had a rough day today. 

Most of your symptoms fit with the side effects of Mirtazapine (see below). But what makes me worry are the brain zaps. I havent heard of those yet and I wonder if that's something you want to have your pdoc or even a hospital look into. Sounds to me, that it should be checked out asap.

I hope you are feeling better tomorrow and things are improving soon!

http://www.drugs.com/sfx/mirtazapine-side-effects.html

Emis Moderator comment: I have replaced the pasted info from drugs.com site with the direct link to the page.

• Posted

Hi Tina

Think I had these symptoms about 10 days from quitting Citalopram - interestingly I had been on Mirt for over 6 weeks so I know it was the Citalopram wd in my case.  I did wd slowly from it too.

The symptoms settled down within a few days, I felt a wave of sadness and then the symptoms dissipated.  Hope this helps, hang on in there, it might not be as bad as you think.

Best wishes to you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.