been stuck in flare up, cant figure out what to eat. any tips?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi, ive been stuck in a flare up for about 6 months now. i dont always feel the same as one week i will feel fine then the next two weeks i am always on the toilet. for about 3 weeks now ive been eating lots of fish and rice. nothing fatty or greasy. im trying to eat very bland but cant figure out why my diet isnt working. also what does anyone think of using turmeric in their foods and how much? thank you for your help!

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Not everyone believes diet plays a part in the treatment of UC but as far as I'm concerned diet is important. Personally I stick to a low fibre diet at all times, no red meat or stringy vegetables, only fruit and veg that I can remove peel from. I eat twice a day only - breakfast and early evening with lots of bottled water and camomile tea in between. I avoid all spices. As I've mentioned before on this forum I also believe in taking probiotics, one drink at breakfast and one capsule with dinner. I've had U C for just over 4 years now with several flare ups in that time but have been flare up free for 6 months now since following this diet. I am convinced that what I eat and drink has resulted in that and fingers crossed it continues. I travel a lot and always fast from the day before a journey and that too makes me feel well!  Google low fibre diet for u c sufferers and health food shops for probiotics in capsule form. Advisable to take capsule with cold drink as heat destroys their affect. Keep refrigerated too. Drinks can be purchased in any supermarket. I must say that it takes a lot to get used to my regime but it's preferable to the horrible flare ups I've suffered and dread any again! Make sure you get as much exercise as you can. That's difficult too as U C can make you feel really tired and lethargic at times! Good luck and give it a try!
    • Posted

Hi ruari1, could I ask which probiotics you take? I've tried VSL but they made me feel nauseous. My Gastro dr said diet didn't affect UC but recommends trying probiotics.

Thanks

• Posted

Don't think this website will allow me to give names of products but I'll try. The drink I take every morning is Actimel plus original and capsule I take daily is Acidophilus Plus non-dairy! Hope you receive this!
  • Posted

I follow the specific carbohydrate diet, it's worked wonders for me, just look it up on google for info - good luck x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.