Been taking Amitriptyline for 2 weeks, side effects

Posted , 13 users are following.

Hello all.  I wonder if someone could tell me if the way I am feeling at the mo is normal when first taking these tabs or if I should be concerned.  I was prescribed 10 mg Amitriptyline some while ago for pain which was thought to be sciatica.  It is now discovered I have a bulging disc.  I started these 2 weeks ago and since then I have been suffering from slight headaches most nights, for no good reason, a feeling of weight in my head and my chest feels heavy.  I thought my heart rate was pretty fast as well but checking my pulse last night it was normal.  I feel tired a lot of the time but guess this is normal for these tabs but wonder if this will go in time.  The doc who prescribed the tabs said they do take a month or so to get into the system but will these effects last all the time I'm taking the meds.  I also take Naproxen, Co-codamol and paracetamol, which I try and take just morning and night.  Not that they have much effect.  I did have a steroid jab in my spine at the beginning of December, to no effect.  Now waiting for a follow up appt at the hospital but no date fixed so far.  I feel very very low at the mo.  Been having physio for some months now again to no real effect.  Thanks for listening and if there is anyone out there who can help I'd be grateful.

2 likes, 33 replies

33 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi been taking of and on fir years but now I have 2 every night as I need sleep and I have a meniscus tear in my knee so helps me loads x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.