Been tingling etc on and off for about a month now, Severe Anxiety (?)

Posted , 4 users are following.

This might be a bit long so apologises/ thank you in advance to whoever bothers to read it.

I have always been quite an anxious person but it always got written off as me being a worrier blah blah. However, last month I started to tingle (mainly in my toes and lower leg but at times it spread to the whole and ocassionally my arms), this greatly distressed me and after googling the syptoms (which suggested some very distressing stuff) one potential cause was vitamin d defiency (I was taking supplements and had finished my supply from the doctor and had also been inside most of this year so me being low in Vitamin D wouldn't be unlikely. I started taking Vitamin D supplements again (just some from the regular shop) and the tingling came and went. At the same time I was experiencing really bad teeth/gum pain and was convinced that my filling had fallen out, my gum had receeded and my teeth were shifted and my back teeth were in trouble. It was approaching Christmas and I was so distressed that I got myself an emergency dentist appointment, the dentist told me that my filling was fine, my teeth were fine and my gums weren't reeceding and even complimented my brushing! I'm not entirely convinced but since she is the professional I will take my word, but I will carry on being careful until it is possible to go to the dentist for a regular check up again.

I also got a phone consultation with my doctor and explained my symptoms to him who told me he thought it was just bad anxiety (this surprised me as it was something I had never considered it, especially as I thought if anything I was anxious because of the tingling and not the other way around) and gave me a number to call to seek assistance (I have called and have booked a consultation). However, when I research people seem to only get tinglign during an anxiety attack for example, whereas mine seems to be almost constant (comes and go multiple times a day) and as of yesterday included my ENTIRE body, not just the toes and legs, including my torso and even my chest and neck and head and cheeks. It has been accompained by leg and hand and armpit pain. I have also been experiencing lightheadeness and tingling after eating which is TERRIFYING me, because I googled it and it can be a sign of some very serious stuff (though it should be noted I seem to be lightheaded and tingling quite often so I'm not entirely sure if it's linked to the eating (avoiding sweet stuff and drinks anyway) or even if it's happening after that one time because I'm so paranoid).I have lost my appetite and only really eat on emeal (though I have been trying to do at least two, even though I seem to spend most of my time crying into my food or trying not to break down cos I'm so nervous) I seemed to be scared and distressed all the time these days and my family is trying to be as considerate as possible but I feel like they're tired of listening to me worry for the 30th day in a row but I can't help it... It doesn't help that because of COVID here everything is online and the doctors seem to be preoccupied (understandable) so I can't help but feel even more worried and hopeless.

I kinda rambled and went off topic and rambled there ahah, but I guess my main question is this normal with anxiety? In particular the tingling- is it normal to tingling this much/often???? I'm so distressed and scared that I'm seriously ill and it's just been dismissed by the doctor as anxiety (my sister goes to the same one and she says when she was having an allergic reaction he caught it when no one else could but he seemed very rude and uninterested when he was on the phone with me- idk if I should call and insist on a blood test or scans or something??? idk if im being too dramatic) and feel like I have no one to consult so trying this out ahaha, hoping this might work

P.s Please forgive me for the spelling mistakes and thank you in advance if anyone manages to provide any insight or advice

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Forgot to mention the chest and stomach pain and the feeling of food not wanting to go down too ahah, I had so much to say I forgot some of the stuff that was stressing me out

• Posted

I too have loss of appetite and tingling in my legs and hands. It is quite scary at times. I also get extremely short of breathe moat days to the point it upsets me.

• Posted

It's so scary, idk if this will help but I have been trying to eat more again and I have started by just trying smaller, more snack like portions of food and just forcing myself to eat it

• Posted

I'm sorry to hear that you're going through this. While I may not be able to give any medical advice and it is better for you to get checked by a professional, your symptoms do sound like anxiety. Those symptoms can indicate any physical problem but are also pretty common with anxiety.

I have health anxiety and have had many tests to check for any physical problems only for them to come back clear.

I get random aches and pains everywhere in my body but mainly in my arms and legs. Also, I get dull pain in the left side of my face/jaw. All of these aches/pains last a few seconds each and I have them multiple times a day. I get headaches too and feel weak or dizzy sometimes. I don't always have a panic attack, in fact it's been quite some time since I had one but I do keep getting these "physical" symptoms of health anxiety. Just like you, I sometimes wonder if getting these pains randomly for so many days is common with anxiety but it turns out, it's pretty common.

Whenever I read about any illness or disorder that sounds bad to me, I end up worrying about developing it. Currently, I'm afraid of developing fibromyalgia and so, I developed symptoms similar to it.

With anxiety, it can happen that you are super fixated on your body and so, you keep feeling that something is not normal and thus, your body parts tingling or paining.

One major reason I believe it's my anxiety is because I mostly feel these symptoms when I'm (over)thinking or worrying about them. I'm okay when I'm busy or distracted and the symptoms only hit when I get conscious about it. It's a vicious cycle of worrying, getting symptoms and then worrying more.

I know it can get VERY hard at times. Trust me, I cry over this so many times and there are times where I just can't focus on anything else other than my health. It can get a bit too much for one person to handle I know but it is what it is.

The good news is, there is hope. Try to stay busy or distracted. Exercise, eat well, stay hydrated, avoid overthinking, meditate, talk to people, etc. There are many things you could do. I'm still struggling a lot with this too but there is help.

Keep going and feel free to message me here if that helps! Remember that you're not alone in this. It can and will pass with time. Stay strong!

• Posted

Thank you so much for your reply! I have found it so comforting to read about other people symptoms, thank you for taking time to reply to my post.

I have not been diagnosed with it but I have an increasing feeling that I have health anxiety, I find myself googling symptoms and stressing over my health daily for a significant part of the day and am beginning to find it overwhelming.

I am beginning to believe I have anxiety (I didn't agree when the doctor first suggested it ahaha) and do think my physical symptoms are most likely due to this, but I can't help but get concerned as to when they seem to occur (whilst/after eating with the tingling and headaches) though similar to you, I'm not sure if this is occurring because I am thinking about it so much (I hope it's all in my mind and nothing serious) and in fact today is probably the most I've eaten in a while and the tingling hasn't been so bad sooo I have no idea... I just wish COVID wasn't so bad here so I could see my doctor easier. Also I keep getting these symptoms even when I think I'm not particulary anxious??? I don't get that

Currently trying to take steps to make/keep myself calm, started to watch films again (a BIG hobby of mine), trying to eat normally (or as much as I can), trying to spend more time with my family and not spend it talking about my concerns and also trying to exercise more regulary (COVID alongside my very low mood recently has left me hiding in my room most of the time)

• Posted

I think the best thing for me is knowing it's not just me so thank you so much for the positivity! 😃

• Posted

Yeah I get these random aches and pains when I don't particularly feel anxious too and I've been thinking worse too. I think of the worst "what ifs" and how I'll be able to live my life if it turns out to be something chronic and disabling (like with fibromyalgia- which is my current scare for the past two weeks).

I've noticed that a significant part of my day is spent thinking or worrying about my health and hyper focusing on every little ache/pain I feel. It's a bad cycle. I have good days and I have bad days.

That can't be helped. I just try to tell myself "what is the probability of me having it out of everything else?" This thought process makes me feel a bit better. I have to admit, I don't feel completely healthy either but then, the every day pain can make anyone feel gloomy. I'm sorry that you have to go through this.

Btw I was in denial thinking that I didn't have anxiety either but now, I'm almost officially diagnosed lol. No point in denying it. It's okay.

Good luck to you. Feel free to message me if you want to talk about it!

• Posted

hi i feel your pain - did the doc put you on some medication for the anxiety ?

ive been suffering for 12 weeks - lost over a stone due to lack of appetite and tummy upset - on medication that im trying to get off atm ..

• Posted

Hey, no I have not physically seen my doctor because of COVID but they refferred me to this talking therapies place and I haven't had my appointment yet so no I am not on anything for anxiety currently 😃

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.