Been told cannot have 2nd TKR until 6 weeks after flying

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi,

Had my first TKR February 2016 and now hoping to have my other knee done. I had pre op  assesment today and was told they cannot do surgery for 6 weeks after a long haul flight which is already booked.

Anyone any experience of this please?

I know about flying post op but never come across this pre-op  clinical guideline before.

Thanks!

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Yes, I was told this.  When the consultant asked me if I would accept a cancellation at short notice, I said no as I had a holiday booked.  He said I should not fly just before the operation (I can’t remember if it was 6 weeks) but as I was only going to the Isle of Wight it was not a problem.
    • Posted

Thanks Wendy, that was my impression too. Seems its normal practice, plus my flight is long haul so makes sense smile
  • Posted

I thi k it could be to ensure that you haven't developed any blood clots after the long haul flight. I had to wear compression stockings for 6 weeks after my TKR for same reason.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.