been told i need surgery to remove my parathyroid ??

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have been suffering with what I call bone pains for a long time now in legs and forearms I have had been classed as depressed and stressed causing my pains and fatigue and then they discovered I had a slightly high pth and low vit D they referred me to the endocrinology department and he said it was post traumatic stress and would send me for a bone scan to check my bones as my pth was slightly high but my calcium was ok. He gave me vitamin d to take too.  I had my bone scan and then they sent for me again. I walked in and the consultant said I am referring you to a surgeon you have osteopenia and need your parathyroid  surgery. This took me by surprise. He was adamant I didn’t have a problem then the next appointment he was adamant I needed surgery ??? I’m worried now do I??  don’t I ?? I also suffer with headaches not all the time but them come for a few days with dizzy spells and I’m wiped out. does anyone else just have mild symptoms but bone pains and I say they feel like what growing pains did as a child but all everything else seems ok only a slight raised pth level but the bone density says low bone density.  I’m not a smoker I’m a young 42 I’m not thin or anorexic I’m a average size 12  ( smoking and anorexia can cause thin bones ) i see the surgeon tomorrow for the first time, and reading the forums everyone seems worse than me with symptoms. anyone else have the smae as me ??

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

If what you say is true that pth is only slightly elevated and vit D low.    I would try getting your vit D levels to normal levels and see how you feel before committing to surgery.   Have you had your thyroid levels checked? Low thyroid levels can effect symptomns as headaches, muscle pain, and being very fatiqued.   Do your due diligence so you can make an informed decision.   Understand your numbers and ranges of your pth, vit D, t3, t4 etc .   I had my thyroid removed and lost all my parathyroids.  I am the opposite with having no pth levels and now suffer from hypoparathyroidism.   Knowledge is power, do your homework and get a second opinion.
    • Posted

yes i have had my thyroid tested thats all ok. i have been going to the dr for  about  3 years, they said it was stress and depression to start , it wasnt .. my vit d levels are ok now i still get bone pain, fatigued and angry ( :-( ) sometimes i dont seem to be on this planet with low moods but itsnt that just normal life?!?! its the pains in the bones and the lack of energy that kept me goign back to the gp. and my pth is higher than the range but not massivly but i have really low bone density for my age they tell me. i have done lots of homework but everyone seems to be differnt. i dont want something removing if there is no need and i dont want to have to live on pain killers either.
  • Posted

Hi Shez,

did you have a dexa scan, I too have slightly high PTH severe vit d and pains in my bones.

I have not had a dexa scan but a MRI scan not too sure what the differences are.

Im waiting to see Encrinology next week, so will update you.

This is the second time Ive have raised PTH levels the first time was some years ago and i had like you a parathyroid surgery but at that time my blood calcuim was also high, this time its within normal range like yours with slightly high PTH,

I was also told that you needed also high calcuim blood levels to have surgery, however, apparently the Calcium levels and PTH can go up and down to normal/higher levels during your parathyroid levels,hence why it needs checking several times ( I thinks thats correct but not sure). I'm totally confused too!!! I don't know what to believe, Can anyone help? We appear to be in a similar situation.

I DONT REALLY KNOW THE ANSWER DOES ANYONE ELSE? 

Very best wishes Olly

• Posted

hi olly yep had a bone dexa scan and found i had low bone density n said i had osteopenia. thats why the consultant said i need surgery, but why say i didnt need it before just on my blood results ???  pth was slightly high vit d low ( thats now high ) and calcuim normal ion my first bloods taken at the hospital.  i dont get it im lost. im in tomorrow to see the surgeon so il let you know what he said . i have just phoned the gp's to get all my blood results read to see what the difference in them all is over time and to see what the ones say i had took 2 weeks ago!!! just sick of feeling like a moaner now !!!

• Posted

hi Shez, good luck with everything.

Hope it all gets sorted out for you.

Try making a list of the main questions you would like the answer to at your next hospital appointment.

Best wishes Olly

• Posted

Oh good!!

The doctors like informed patients ha ha (only joking), actually they are usually quite helpful in explaning stuff so don't worry.

Olly

• Posted

Shez74

It sounds like you need surgery right away. Do yourself a favor and go to the Norman Parathyroid Center website. Read the entire thing. It will save your life. Don't mess around with your health.  Good luck. 

• Posted

How did you get on Shez? X

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.