Before and after photos

Posted , 5 users are following.

it's week three of my scarf and akin osteoctomy and k wire in hammer toe.  Today they removed the dressing and tidied the stitches, they were dissolvable but needed the nots off each end.  Thought I would share my photos.  The pair were take. On 29 March day before op.  The others as the dressing came off.  And the last at home after. Wonderful massage with E45.  Feels weird though but the surgeon said it would get better.  Still in wedge shoe, next week k wire our if middle toe then start to wear comfy shoes, I hope!biggrin

1 like, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

Great photos Barbara. Mine looked like that with the big toe standing away when it first came out of bandages but soon settled down.  

Great to have a record of your progress.

• Posted

Thanks for encouragement, did your toe joint feel weird, it's very stiff and I can't move it?
    • Posted

It gradually comes back Barbara. Mine started to improve about 6-7 weeks post op and gradually better each week since then. You gradually try to wiggle it more and more and when it feels more robust you can start toe raises against the wall but I would check with your surgeon when this is advisable as everyone's procedures are different.

massage is important to prevent stiffness and helps scars too.

at 15 weeks my toe still doesn't bend much and I am having physio but consultant says I should expect to get 50 degree bend back so am working at it. I have a staple at base of toe and screw lower down.

good luck.

• Posted

Thanks, I had same..  You don't realise until it happens to you the length of time for recovery. 
  • Posted

Hi. Good photos! Here's a photo of my foot at the two-week appointment - toes wide apart and big toe stiff as a post! My toe still has only 50 degrees of flex even when forced and is likely to stay that way apparently. At least it is pointing forwards instead of sideways under the second toe though! It also felt weird at first but is gradually feeling more like it is MY toe! I can cycle (have been doing since six weeks) but running is still difficult even now at the eleven week point.
    • Posted

Good to see my toe is nirmal after dressing removal.  All I want to do is walk properly, it will come though.  Looking for comfy shoes or sandals, any suggestions?
    • Posted

I wear one size bigger Aasics gel trainers and have just bought regatta walking sandals but on day two of wearing my foot is swelling a bit again so favour protection of trainers for support.
    • Posted

someone recommended hotter shoes to me. They are quite fashionable (well, not the best ...) and come in many widths. They are a mail order company
  • Posted

I find Asics gel trainers good too! My favourite footwear though is my Teva strap sandals. They are lovely and soft with adjustable width and just to make them even better my podiatrist has stuck some pieces of different density foam stuff to the sandal under the ball of my foot to help my foot roll forwards comfortably.
    • Posted

Do the sandals have a piece that goes between your big and second toe Nicola? I tried flip flops on holiday but the base of my big toe is still too tender and painful under my descend toe where tendon released.
  • Posted

Great pictures, Barbara, but I will look more in about 5 days when I have gotten through the surgery...am anxious right now, but they will help me, I am sure in a few days.  Reminds me to take a before picture - why didn't the surgeon or someone do that, I wonder?
  • Posted

Hi. Sorry for the delay. The Tevas are "casual". They are Original Leather Diamond. on looking at the "active" range, those sandals look even better as the soles have some shape and maybe arch support rather than just being flat. By the way, no, they have no stalk between the first and second toes.
    • Posted

Thanks for the suggestion, went out looking today and thought I'd look in Blacks.  To my amazement they sold Teva sandals so I tried on the cloth minimal straps ones and they were soooooo comfortable, I could even walk on my op foot in them.   Width not too bad and as they are Velcro I'm going to had sew a bit more of the soft Velcro on toe width just in case needed.  Look good too.  As its summer wanted to keep my toes free from enclosed shoes.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.