Begging for advice from experience - Grade 2+3 Haemorrhoids

Posted , 3 users are following.

I am 38YO female and am currently on week 3 of a haemorrhoid flare up and have a reached a crossroad and I have no idea where to turn.

It's important I start this post with some background as I am a chronic constipation sufferer and have battled/managed this condition for 20 years. Being mindful of my diet, not eating too late, keeping active, and consuming a concoction of laxative daily; I've kinda done OK and I'm used to the ups and downs of it all.

I first experienced haemorrhoids in lockdown (2020) and after some discomfort for a while, the flare up passed and the external swelling and lumps retreated back inside, and aside from the occasion bleed, I've been fine.

Fast forward to now - at the start of Feb, all hell broke loose and following a hospital visit I was told I have x2 internal Grade 2 and x2 prolapsed Grade 3 haemorrhoids and the discomfort is unbearable.

I have been referred for surgery - banding for the internal ones, and a haemorrhoidectomy for the ones that are externally prolapsed - but I am terrified. The surgeon is also cautious of a haemorrhoidectomy because of the likelihood that my long standing constipation issue may make my recovery so much harder, as well as post-op pain management due my allergy to Codeine (and possibly other painkillers in the opioid family - unknown).

I guess I'm here to ask advice from anyone that has undergone the procedure, do I have the surgery? Is it truly worth all of the pain?

Or do I hope and pray I get these under control for now and deal with a flare up as/when it happens again?

I am sick to my stomach with fear on both counts and the is starting to take a huge toll on my mental health.

Grateful for any advice and insight from a fellow sufferer. Thank you x

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi Sarah,

Sorry to hear of your suffering.

It's basically damned if you do and damned if you don't.

The problem is that your haemmohroids probably won't get any better, just worse.

As I'm sure you're aware a haemmorhoidectomy is a very painful operation that will take at least 3-4 months to fully recover from, but most people do get better.

I've found people come to this site in distress and with stories of agony, then after a few months they leave once recovered from their surgery.

If you do opt for surgery, ensure that discuss with your Colorectal surgeon exactly what will be involved in your post-surgery recovery as it can be brutal, especially if you suffer from constipation.

I'm sorry I can't be of any more help, I wish you all the best.

Regards,

Ian

• Posted

Hi Sarah...Sorry to hear that. Ultimately, you will have to make that decision for yourself. It does sound like you are backed into a corner. Consider that both outcomes will be difficult, but only one can give you freedom from it all. Easier said than done.

I have done both banding an surgery, but generally, I don't believe they are recommended to do both at the same time. That would be too much for the body to endure. So banding might be the first to try. If you do decide on the surgery and because you suffer from chronic constipation, read the advice on this board and try to get a good recipe for a soft stool. I have found magnesium citrate the best. Be careful not to overload on the fiber as well.

You are at a crossroads here. I wish you all the best.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.