Begining Pain when eating

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have a Hiatus Hernia. Recently I have been getting light pain when eating. This is sternum and sometimes round the back. I am on omeprazol Anyone experiencing and managing this and what might it lead to? I am in the UK under NHS.

Thanks.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi there, yes I have the same, but my pain is mostly round the back. I'd just repeat the classic mantra:

• stop anything that could further irritate your gullet: tobacco, caffeine, spirits/wine (beer should be fine), acidic stuff (lemon/orange, vinegar), sweets
    • sleep with a good quality wedge pillow (I bought mine from the OPA, google it)
    • smaller quantity meals

I also personally take liquorice supplements (Holland & Barrett) to help produce mucus to coat the gullet lining, and I take one spoon of Gaviscon Advance before bed.

Good luck!

• Posted

I have a hiatus hernia too. The best PPI I have tried is esomeprazole though, ask your doctor if you can change and see if it helps your symptoms. Are you always getting the pain after eating or is it specific foods/drinks? Sometimes hot tea can affect my sternum, I think my oesophagus can get a bit inflamed sometimes as it is quite sensitive. I remember after my endoscopy my sternum hurt a lot and eating and drinking was painful for a while. If I have had a curry and a glass of wine, I can get a bit of discomfort too front and back. Sugar, caffeine, spicy and fatty foods, alcohol particularly things like champagne and white wine, citrus fruits and pickles can all have a negative affect. Christmas food and drinks are not great for hiatus hernias and reflux sufferers! You can have gavisc0n as well as your PPI and if it is really bad you can also take ranitidine.

• Posted

Well I am most grateful to both for replying. I went to the Dr. today and he confirmed my symptoms were almost likely the HH. He also said that the esophagos can harden with reflux but I hope cancer does not set in! He told me to get back on the omeprazol to cut the acid even though I think PPI gives me muscle issues. Need them for low dose Aspirin as well.

As of now I am chewing stuff well and eating sloooowly. Moon you are brave to tackle the alc but I have largely given it up. I had an alc free beer today and that tasted OK.

I will look into these other PPIs to see how they do. I've heard charcol supps may work?

Moon and Alexis thanks.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.