Beginning of Shingles?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi guys,

So I'm 27 and have a family history of shingles. (Not sure if that matters.) My sister had shingles around my age too.

So two days ago I noticed this weird pain on the left side of my back. It felt like a mole was getting irritated by my bra, you know like a sharp sting. I kept readjusting, thinking nothing of it. Finally I took off my bra and realized there was nothing there. No mole or spot. And the pain kept happening. Just random little stings in the same spot.

Later than night the pain felt in a larger area and became more of an achy burn than a sting. It wasn't constant, but really just when I moved certain ways.

I was worried about shingles so I make a last minute appointment with my doctor.

She said it was just a muscle spasm and send me home with muscle relaxers. She said since there was no rash, and the pain wasn't constant, it wasn't shingles.

Now it's day 3 and my pain hasn't gotten any better. I feel it even when I'm not moving sometimes, and sometimes it feels tingly? I even tried taking a muscle relaxer and it didn't do anything for the pain. I tried taking a walk and it was almost unbareable.

My mom is freaking out because when I had chicken pox as a child, it was like the worst case they had ever seen and I was in the hospital. I had sores down my throat, in my eyelids, etc.

So basically, long story short (too late!), does this sound like the beginning of shingles? I still don't have a rash.

And also, does the severity that you had chicken pox have any indication of potential shingles severity?

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I always start out thinking it is something else. The pain can be tingly and itchy, or feel like indigestion. Often it feels like pain under my shoulder blade or a bad kidney infection. I seldim get the point until it is followed by a day of feeling flu like. I seem to always get it along my spine and I guess it can set off pain anywhere it touches a nerve. I then get a rash although it is the one symptom that is deminishing.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.