Beginning to come off zopiclone.

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi There,

I have been taking sleeping medication for around 8 years now and I'm at the point where I am trying to come off them. For the past 4 (ish) years I have been on zopiclone at 7.5mg every night. It's always worked pretty well and I've never had the need to increase it or go beyond the perscribed dose. Yet, I don't like that I am dependant on a medication and am eventually wanting to be medication free (currently also on Mirtazapine 45mg and a couple of physical drugs).

I started to cut my dose last night after chatting with my GP and had 3.75mg. I didn't sleep very well and the night seemed to last forever! But I did sleep so I guess thats positive. However I feel very out of it today...tired, unrested, headache with a bit of dizziness. Are these normal? I get very anxious about changing things and have to admit scared myself a little silly when looking at withdrawal symptoms especially things like seizures and hallucinations. So I guess I am asking for reassurance and other peoples experiences of coming off Zopiclone. How long did the whole withdrawal thing last?

Thanks in advanced.

0 likes, 32 replies

32 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I think the thing to remember here is that its ness88 posts, and she is looking to us for help in coming off Zop altogether and is nopw about to start on a half dose 3.75, she needs support, in fact I can say the same as I have been on 7.5 for a year and now on 3.75.

For those who take take them every night or every 4/5 nights and are happy thats great, but Ness88 like me want to try and stop altogether, and to be honest a body full of chemicals is not good, I know I feel so much better on 3.75, OK, maybe I can stay on them for a while, maybe for years , maybe something else, but I need and want to try.

for those who take them , are you in the UK or USA are they prescribed or do you buy them off the Net.

Vivian,  You say there may not be a probelm, but there are in fact many side effects, forgetting things (  I do ), confusion ( I am )  foggy head ( thats me ) and I read about other things like cancer, liver etc they are all affected, for that I want to try and give them up.

I think if your 70 then yes its fine if your happy, health wise over 65 it should a max dose of 3.75.

not sleeping is horrid, one think I gained from my DR is if I dont get off too sleep dont worry, get up and go back later, this is great advice me, but then I retired early and I can in bed till 9+, I am also going too try and go too bed sooner and get up early.

we are all different I know, and I can already there is much help to be gained fro this forum .

Ness88 let us all know how you get on tonight please, i think with help, being positive you will sleep, i hope so, I know I do now

• Posted

Thank you.

Last night was better and I slept reasonably well. I'm quite amazed if I'm honest but very relieved by it.

Withdrawal wise thats also not been as bad today. Still got quite a persistant headache, vague body aches and having random facial twitches but nothing unmanageable. I'm trying to not read too much in to these little things because if I do, it sends my anxiety through the roof.

I think I've got a little bit more confident with the sleeping thing though now it's been a couple of nights so hopefully can continue on. I think I plan on staying on this dose until I've been on my holiday and then see about stopping it. That'll give me a month before Uni starts again and if anything disastrous happens in that time, then I can fix it.

• Posted

well done, try to stick to it and try not worry, sometime I take a sweet to bed with and play a couple of solitare games to relax me, but what ever works for you is good, dont try to rush it in a month, see how how it goes
  • Posted

Good for you, remember , baby steps, if you have a bad night, the next will be better. 
  • Posted

Thank you smile Your kind words are really helpful.
  • Posted

I also am going to try to get off.  all these stories about seizures and hallucinations I think depends on the person.  I have been on zoplicone for many many years and at one point was at 7 (7.5) a night.  Am now down to 2 a nite without any symptoms at all.  one time i messed up and took 3 so could only take 1 the last night of my refill and didnt sleep much at all but no bad symptoms.  i get my prescription weekly so cant cheat.  Good luck.
  • Posted

brenda, does your Dr give you these, are you in the UK, 7 x &.5 is a lot to take, I only took one 7.5 and had grotty mornings, im now on 3.75 and fine so far, stilly blurry eyes though
    • Posted

Yes my old doctor gave them to me.  I have had a new doctor for awhile now and that is who has help me.  I came down myself from 7 to 5 then struggled.  that is when i switched doctors and she has helped alot.  I actually live in canada, in British Columbia.  I don't have any groggy mornings or any problems at all. 
    • Posted

well done for the effort, BC is beautiful, we were there a year ago, pleased you are down to  2 zops now, I hope you can get them lower, you can soon get down to 1
  • Posted

Brenda, I think thats what freaked me out the most, the risk of seizures. I live alone so it always worries me that if something happens than there is no to help. You're doing well to have brought your dose down to two and your determination to come off them is wonderful. I'm glad that you're not getting any withdrawal symptoms.

Glad to hear that it's still going well Southwestie. Hopefully those blurry eyes will clear up soon.

My sleep is ok at the moment, although when I wake up in the morning, I'm not sure if I've been properly asleep. I don't feel rested as such. It could be that this is what it feels like to have less medicated sleep rather than being knocked out. I may just need to get used to it. Most of the other symptoms have cleared up other than feeling a little wobbly in the morning. It's easing up though so hopefully won't last much longer.  

• Posted

Hi.

I have been on the 3.75 now for 14 days, in that time I have taken 7.5 4 times and 3.75 10 times and I now feel that 3.75 is fine, I have had no withdraw systoms at all, I feel better to be honest, happier, clearer, however my sleep sometimes is not as deep, last night I kept waking up, but went right back to sleep again, so was not a worry or a problem, the eyes maybe a combination of too much laptop time aswell as hay fever, so I think that will go.

But no real sysmtoms at all, I would like when I feel it is right and I know I have nothing on the next day, try to cut one in halfand try 1.87 knowing I can still take the other half if I need to.

I am happy to get up for 15/20 if i dont sleep and then rturn to bed, that really helps me

• Posted

*i have been on Zopiclone for 10 years after my mum died. i am now prescribed 3 x 3.75 which dosnt put me to sleep . i then started to buy of internet doing this for a year. now thus dosnt work and thats on top of my prescribed meds. At my wits end im a night shift worker 12 hour shift and i only get 4 hours sleep. i need to put a stop to this but how,

• Posted

I wish I could help.I myself have been on zopiclone for a good ten years .Started off with 7.5mg a night now I take 2 7.5mg to get at least four hours sleep.Its got so bad I take 3 halves during day to calm me down.I really want off these terrible meds. Can't go to dr as he only prescribes 14 a month rest I buy off internet. Please can anyone help mme taper off these addictive drugs.I just want to feel normal again.

• Posted

Hi Anne77210,

I had entirely forgotten about this post. As you can see it was quite a long time so I guess that means that I've been off zopiclone for 5 years. In the end, it wasn't too bad. When I stopped the final dose, I gave myself 3/4 nights and if i didn't have any sleep during that time then I would take it. I remember for a couple of weeks, sleep was pretty much 1-2 hours at best but it was better than nothing. Over the following months I started to sleep more and started having dreams again. They were really disorientating. As for now, I don't sleep huge amounts but I sleep enough and it's restful. I've never taken sleeping pills since and I had too been on various ones for around a decade.

The most helpful things were taking pressure off myself, so had that day come when I really need to then I would have taken it rather than increasing my stress and falling into a spiral. The other thing was my doctor. He was never pushing me to come off them and allowed me to take it at my pace (slowly) and made sure I was doing it safely. I know you don't want to see your doctor but the right doctor won't tell you off, they'll be there to support you through this at least from a medical standpoint. I'm not a medic, I can't tell you what the safest thing is for your body. What I can say is that it's an incredibly brave and important decision you're making and if you need some support than I can be that person. My final thing that was helpful was just being a little gentler with myself, if I needed to rest, I did. If I needed to shut down from the world for a few days, I did.

I'm wishing you all the best,

Ness

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.