Behavioural Activation making me feel worse, sick and ill

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have a severe depression and have been set some tasks by my therapist. The problem is that the more activities I do the worse I feel. I get more anxious and stressed, and doing them can make me feel physically sick it is so hard - I do not get any enjoyment at all. What is happenining? - is something more wrong with me. I cannot go on with this it just is not working and is making me feel even more of a failure let alone sick and ill.

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

That is the whole point, you are working through your feelings and emotions.  Keep going with it you may learn something.
    • Posted

it get to the point were I feel i will break down. It feels that bad seriously. The other day I nearly threw up. That is too severe. There are challenges but this is too much.
  • Posted

Yes I agree with Richard there is a reason you have been given these tasks.  I would try and concentrate what you can achieve no matter how small when doing these tasks.  The more you do them the more the horrible feelings will start to slowly go..
  • Posted

I don't really have any solutions, I'm a bit broken myself, but I will give you my support and keep you in my thoughts.

• Posted

Hi Stephen,

I was exactly the same as you, only it wasn't by a therapist.... People would say, keep yourself busy, it did not work for me, I had to do what I wanted to do, and when I wanted to do it, when i felt really anxious I found relaxation was better for me, rather than putting myself under pressure, I am now coming off Fluoxetine, and again I am getting those same feelings, as when I first went on them, so now when I feel anxious going through withdrawal, I try and relax, and do deep breathing, which helps me, this is not the same for everybody, some people do keep busy at anxious times, and that right for them... My Councillor agrees with my lodgic, you have got to find what is right for you..... Hilary   smile

• Posted

I agree Stephen.....choose your own tasks. I find nothing worse than someone saying "you should be doing this, or you should be doing that". If I wanted to do those things I'd be doing them. I wouldn't need anyone's suggestions. You will feel more reward if you make your own targets and fulfil them

• Posted

Hi stephen.. Your therapist is only there to help you & obviously given these tasks as a 'help management'    Can you do these activities at your own pace & avoid feeling anxious?  Doing a 'little' is better than none yeah?     Your are NOT a failure stephen - noooooo way xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.