Behcet's syndrome or genital herpes?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi, 

I've had quite an experience in the past week. Let me start off by saying please don't just automatically assume I must have herpes before hearing my whole story (as basically everyone has tried to do). 

I'm a 22 y/o female. For the past 3 or 4 years, I have suffered pretty painfully from 2 things: horrid mouth ulcers (3 or 4 at a time occurring at least once a month) and boils which are are equally horrid. The boils will at times pop up one after the other or sometimes at the same time. Not all are bad, but some are extremely painful and take forever to "pop" and drain on their own, and they can pop up anywhere. Just recently I had one pop up on my leg and turn purple. It hasn't been like this all my life, just the past few years and both problems have been equally frustrating. 

This past weekend was a rough one. I got very little sleep = rundown immune system. Also, at some point early Saturday morning (6 am-ish), I had sex for the first time in quite a while. He used a condom, but the condom broke at some point towards the end of sex. We weren't exactly sure when, but I'm almost positive it was either at the VERY end or close to it, but he pulled out anyway. Anywho, the next day to be safe, I went and got a plan B and that was that. Other than being exhausted from like 2 hours of sleep, I felt relatively okay. This past Tuesday, I woke up with a fever and felt exhausted. I couldn't figure out what was going on but my mom had been feeling bad so I figured I caught whatever she had. I didn't notice anything weird "down there" on Tuesday but I didn't really look either. When I woke up Wednesday morning, it was uncomfortable to wipe after I peed, so I looked with a hand mirror and was horrified. I saw two tiny ulcers on the labia of my vagina and instantly freaked the F out. Herpes flashed across my brain in bright neon letters.

The googling commenced. 

Needless to say, I probably cried 47 times Wednesday and almost had a nervous breakdown. I called the health department and set up an appmnt to see a nurse practitioner for Thursday (yesterday). 

The minute she saw it, she said "oh yeah, that's herpes." And instantly began telling me how my life was gonna be different. She didn't do a blood test (the health Dpmt where I live does every std test except herpes) or a swab culture test. So all I knew/thought was that I had herpes. No idea what type or anything. She told me if I felt like I needed complete verification, that I could always get a blood test done. Looked into that, and for people with no insurance (like me), it would be $140 . They also said to wait a few weeks for the antibodies to possibly build up. So she prescribed me some acyclovir to take for 10 days (I have no idea if I spelled that right). 

So here I am, mouth full of ulcers, boils continuing to pop up all over me, and now vulvar ulcers that sting so bad that it hurts to pee. And I can't help but think, looking back on the guy I recently slept with, that it was be such a far stretch to have contracted herpes from him. And then an even farther stretch to have gotten it from the last guy I slept with: my ex-boyfriend of 3 years that I broke up with 9 months ago. The NP even told me that I probably "already had herpes" since it seemed unlikely that I contracted the virus so fast from the most recent guy.  

But....

What the heck are these boils? Why do I keep getting really bad mouth ulcers? Why am I so tired?

The only 2 symptoms of behcet's that I can't relate to are the "joint pain" and "inflammation of the eyes." 

I just want to know if it sounds like I could possibly have behcet's? Should I go get tested? At this point, I will accept herpes if that's the unfortunate case, but something deep down is telling me it's not. 

Advice is deeply appreciated! 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Marlee. Well yes you certainly could have Behcet's. I have it and so many people I know have been declared to havd sexually transmitted diseases before anyone tries to diagnose it.

But did you hsve a swab of the ulcers? That is the first thing that should have been done. No I just read your post again. No swab. How irresponsible of them.

And no you don't need to have eye onvolvement. Many people don't. That may naver happen or may come later. So I would say go see someone who knows. Boils fatigue joint pain and now an episode that could or could not be genital ulcers....you need to see someone to confirm or rule out Behcet's x

• Posted

I don't understand why you think you have  Behcet's syndrome or genital herpes. It could be the HIV virus. The best advice I could give you is to be tested by a qualified clinic or doctor. I would do this as soon as possible.

• Posted

Pardon me but how would she do this with no insurance? Find a state funded facility?
    • Posted

That's a good point. I really don't know. I hope and pray it's not serious and she will be ok.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.