Being a passenger in car causing knee pain

Posted , 5 users are following.

every time the driver brakes the car, I feel the pressure straight away in my knee, and it really hurts, is this normal.

if so how bad will it be when I start to drive, quite worried about that.

i understand you can drive your car if you feel okay in six weeks.?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Alison, I was 12 weeks before I could drive and still find it quite uncomfortable and have to lever myself in and out of the car!  It's worth getting the GP to sign you off properly and make sure it is recorded on your notes as it can cause problems with your insurance.

• Posted

Thank you Lynne

seeing consultant next week, will check it out with him.

i do drive a automatic car, wonder if this makes a difference.

thanks for info

• Posted

I started driving short distances at 7 weeks, but even now, an hour of driving does stress it, along with the walking involved.  I have to rest up a day before and I am at 8 weeks.  Also depends on if you are still in PT and they are wearing the joint out with too many exercises.
    • Posted

Lynn who actually said you could start driving again.

dud you gave to get letter from GP, or consultant, and did you gave to advise your insurance company.

would appreciate your advise, and thanks for info on how you got on it all helps, especially when your worries about some thing.

iam the only carer for  my husband who has Alzheimer's, so life will be easier fir me when I can drive again, but giving said that, don't want to put my self back.

wish you well

• Posted

I didn't think of all those hoops to go thru, I just felt well enough and did so.  Obviously I am off all pain meds so there is nothing to fog the brain or reflexes and since everything hurts alittle bit, driving is not such a huge thing now.  Obviously a long trip is out.  But time will come when I can do that also.  I honestly did not see anything in writing advising not driving or when to be able to start driving.  I am in the USA.  The only thing pertaining to cars was advice to get a handicapped sticker for 6 months, so you could park close.

• Posted

Yes I had that it was very painful very painful.about 4,5 weeks it got better. Hang in there....

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.