Being alone and having angina

Posted , 2 users are following.

I have angina and it is flared up had a bad spell tonight real scary but Nitro took it away I have to be alone in the daytime while my son goes to work and my granddaughter goes to school does anybody else have to be alone in the daytime and have angina

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

Yes I am alone most days. I suffer from prinzmetal angina which is a bit different to your "normal" angina. If the GTN doesn't have the full effect after a certain amount of GTN sprays I take endone  for the spasm pain, whilst it doesn't stop the spasms, it certainly takes the pain away and that's all I care about, they are not coated so it releases pretty quickly, if it doesn't kick in within the 20 -30 minute mark and the GTN sprays are still not helping I have to call an ambulance, I have been caught 3 times, every attack feels the same, exactly the same, but ECG's are good, it's the troponin blood test that they need to look at and as I have said because the attacks are all the same I have had 3 NSTEMI's picked up by the troponin blood test.

• Posted

I too have prinzmetal's angina I only have nitroglycerin under the tongue tabs and I take Ranexa and isosorbide supposedly long-acting Nitro it was under control for pretty much a few years with the medicine I only had to take the Nitro once in awhile but the last couple of days it has flared up again it's just a scary thing and causes me a lot of anxiety I am also afraid to go to sleep because it wakes me up out of sleeping with pain thanks for sharing with me that you are alone I hope we are going to be okay I want to be here for Thanksgiving when my daughter comes to be with me for a week she is in Arizona 😕💛

• Posted

Hi,

Yes prinzmetal angina is a horrid condition, I too am on a cocktail of medications and  have to carry the GTN everywhere I go, My retired cardiologist did tell me years ago that my body will develop a tolerance to all the angina medication and I think that day happened a few years ago, we seem to have run out of options.

I'm a bit luckier than you I think, I do have people around of a late afternoon and evenings, my partner works and kids are at school.

It's horrible when this condition wakens us from our sleep. I have been to our emergency department twice already this week via ambulance, these trips have shown raised troponins, it's slowly coming down, first trip in and first troponin came back at 29, second one a few hours later came back at 28, so no dramatic increases or decreases  influenced the doctors that nothing was going on after the repeat troponin other than me feeling totally wiped out, second trip and only one blood test, troponin a day ago was sitting at 22 so slowly coming down. What makes it a bit hard to fathom is several doctors tell me that prinzmetal angina won't kill you as it's only coronary artery spasms and some say it causes pain while other doctors say it doesn't, those type of doctors I just shake my head at. the experienced emergency doctors are good they are well versed in prinzmetal angina , I only have mild heart disease and this prinzmetal angina, I've asked why troponins have been raised more this year compared to other years, I have had about 7 troponin rises (well above the "cut off " value) One doctor said I may of had an event but not significant to cause any muscle damage, some doctors can't even answer my simple question of why troponin is raised, one said the other day that kidney function can do it, although mine was fine, I could do nothing but shake my head at this doctor, he was young so I wasn't to hard on him smile. I know kidney functions, viral and infections amongst a couple of  other bodily malfunctions can raise troponins, but generally they test for all that in the blood test anyrate. My cardiologist actually explained it better than any doctor in emergency, he told me that troponin is a heart specific enzyme only released when the heart is injured or over working, he went on to explain what ever the doctors find, lets say for example kidney function was down, the kidney function is only the secondary cause for the troponin rise ,if that makes sense to you, same goes for a pulmonary embolism, I was diagnosed with multiple blood clots in both lungs and a couple of times I had raised troponins.

We'll be fine I'm sure smile just relax, live life as normal as possible and love it. and as always when in doubt with your chest pain always call for an ambulance just in case it isn't our spasms this time.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.