Being Around Sick People

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello All. I'm so happy to have found this group. Thank you for all your advice. My question is about being around people who are ill.

When going over to friends' houses do you ask about every member of the household and leave if someone has been or is sick? 

How do you handle it if someone in your own household is ill? 

Do you all have children? They are little germ bombs. How do we handle that? 

I'm happy to be alive but I don't want my life to stop! 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Amber.. house full of adults & kids..all been sick at some stage ... yr safe if yr sensible ..

I wouldn't however go anywhere someone was really ill... meningitis or such ..

People can carry the pneumococcal germ and not even no it... you coukd stand next to someone in supermarket who has it... So what we going to do , lock ourselves away ...

• Posted

Thanks Pam! You're giving me hope that life will go on! x

• Posted

firstly I never liked dogs - so maybe I use it as an excuse to avoid them. With antibioics I am not the most disciplined and do take breaks when I'm feeling well and it's not flu season - but always have some to hand if I get any symptoms.

My kids had all normal illnesses and I've never had a problem - to be clear my concern here would be maybe getting a strep throat that means I miss work - nothing more sinister than that.

Pam's advice is spot on - be sensible and you'll be fine. Because you lost your spleen as an adult you already have good immunity built up - just now and again your system will need a little extra support. 

• Posted

Thanks Wheelo. I guess it's true that as adults we already have substantial immunity built up. I have to keep reminding myself of that. 

Right now it's summer and no one is sick, I am dreading my first winter without a spleen. I guess I just need to find an understanding employer. :-) 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.