being checked for cushings

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have had a lot of symtoms that I thought were all unrealted now they seem related after learning about cushings. I suffered from depression and broke two ankles back to back which I thought was odd , gained about 60-70 lbs in less than a year and i am constantly sweating. Just recently i found the purple stretch marks on my stomach and sides and my lower back asked my doctor so she is testing my urine the 24 hour one and blood.  I am always getting sick and i always feel tired even if i take a 3 hour nap , I was highly active being in the military to being tired all the time and now wanting to work out. I couldnt understand why i also just found a bump on the back of my neck which is common in cushings with the buffalo hump. However I dont have high blood pressure or hair growth or irregular menstral cycle which is common in women . but all the other symtoms seem consistant. I guess my question is most likley if i do have cushings are the chances hight the corisol will be found in my urine . it would make so much sense if i did have it and if i do i justr want to get better .

2 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

high the corisol******
  • Posted

Hi Vic,

Hopefully the tests you have had should certainly show what your Cortisol level was.  Then you may be referred to an Endocrinologist for further tests.  Let us know hoe you get on.  I am sure some of the others will have their own thoughts.  I did not have high blood pressure either.

• Posted

thanks yeah , i heard it takes about a week to get results back?
  • Posted

Hi Vic

I didn't have high blood pressure either.Hair growth and bad skin were a problem,and my periods only stopped just before my pituitary surgery,otherwise regular considering I'd had Cushing's symptoms for 5 years.Do let us know how you get on.We're very supportive on here.Gill

• Posted

Thank you gill how long did it take for ur results to.come back
    • Posted

Sorry can't remember.I don't think it seemed long at the time,though.I was diagnosed in 1997,so a while ago now.
  • Posted

Sorry to hear you are feeling so ill!  It is just too sad.  When I was diagnosed with Cushing's Disease in 2002..... I was full blown with just about every single symptom that exists. But.....many of the worst symptoms did not appear until a year or so before being diagnosed. 

I think that my Cushibg's started more then a decade before finally getting the diagnosis.

Cushing's can start very subtle.....and it can also "turn on and off"----'cycling'.

So, many people do not have all the symptoms....Vic, it totally depends on your age....the type of Cushing's and/or tumor that you may have, how long you have been had the disease....also, your overall health before getting the disease.

My high blood pressure started about a year before I was diagnosed.  It did not matter how much medication my doctor gave me....it would not stabilize.

i got diabetes really, really badly practically overnight, about 3 months before being diagnosed.

My earliest symptoms.....10 years before being diagnosed was bad skin and wright gain....despite exercising very regularly....especially weight gain inmy belly and turn all area.

that is what is so sad about Cushing's.....even if I could go back 10 years when it started...BUT......knew then what I know now.....I probably could not have convinced a single doctor that I had Cushing's.

it is very difficult to get a diagnosis in the very early stages. Cushing's symptoms mimic so many other illnesses.

i stopped getting my period for a whole year and my Gynecologist didn't even think anything of it....I was only 34 years old and it should have raised some flags.

please be persistent Vic!  Even if you end up not having Cushing's....you could have something similar.

there is a very good board called Cushing's Help.  It is a wonderful forum with a vast amount of info for you to read....and to help you through your process of getting your body healed.

please keep us informed.

hang in there, though, I know it is almost impossible sometimes.

i went through hell and back....I never, ever thought I would feel better or normal again.  But......I am cured and quite healthy now and It can happen to you too!

• Posted

Thank you I am anxious for the results I can check off almost every symptom on the list so if it is indeed cushing's I just want it to be found and not have to jump through hoops to get diagnosed. it would make so much sense even though I don't want cushing's if it is I just want to get to the bottom so I can start feeling better !
    • Posted

Hope you hear soon.  The weekend is always the worst time isn't it.  Try to relax and wait for the results.  Take care.
    • Posted

Your so right.When I was finally diagnosed,it was just a relief to know that someone actually knew what I had wrong with me.Even knowing what treatment I had to have still made me feel relieved that something was going to be done.It still hasn't been easy since,though,but I knew I couldn't not have the surgery and remain as I was.Good luck.Gill

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.