Being fobbed off by my GP again. Anyone else have this trouble?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hey everyone, so a little background - I've had Anxiety for almost 10 years now. I've always managed it by myself or through CBT, no medication and I've always refused medication for various reasons.

Over the last couple of days I've had chest pain and mild-moderate breathlessness. I personally thought it was my asthma due to high pollen or a pulled muscle in my chest (I've had similar before), however I wanted to get it checked due to the breathlessness being quite bad. Long story short, my doctor basically told me it was anxiety and fobbed me off with some Diazepam without really discussing it with me.

I'm quite annoyed by it to be honest because I'm actually on 5/6 sessions of CBT, I feel pretty much anxiety free, I feel the happiest I have in a while and my therapist told me not to go on meds when I first started it, never mind when I've almost finished it! I also don't get breathless with my anxiety, I never hyperventilate or have shortness of breathe etc. Mine is more palpitations and feeling like I'm going to pass out. I haven't taken the diazepam but just wanted to know if this is a regular theme with other people?

Sorry for long post!

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Seems like when a person has anxiety in their health record,its an excuse at times for doctors to dismiss it as anxiety. They should take everyone seriously,thats why they get paid to give you an exam. It is maddening.
  • Posted

Urgh this keeps happening to me I changed doctors but I haven't told them the extent of my problems as I'm scared they'll just blame anxiety too I know I have anxiety I accepted that of course I have anxiety when I have a bunch of symtoms everyday that have made my life hell but the symtoms aren't anxiety it's something causing it !

I have tried tablets they made me worse ! I am now about to start my third round of cbt !! No doctor at my new surgery has mentioned anxiety to be honest and I'm awaiting a ct scan although now I'm also having palpation constantly ect and I am anemic but it's getting pretty bad ! I know if I go about another thing they may start saying it's anxiety and I'll be fobbed off like my old doctors did literally everything I went for even chest infection it was anxiety and told to just deal with it 😠 I think then when I finally said to them oh I have anxiety and it's causing this that's when they started to listen ??? I got a hokter monitor in 2014 after I told them it was anxiety ?? Maybe this is what you need to do go in and say oh my anxiety is causing this and they will automatically do something because they'll think we'll she knows it's anxiety so it shouldn't be happening ?? Kina like talking to a child and saying no you don't want to watch that film just so they turn to say yes I do 😂

• Posted

Go and see another doctor for a 2nd opinion or if you are really worried go to a and e.

It is your choose not to take meds so you may have to find another way to deal with it.

Stay Strongcool

• Posted

I find it depends on the doctor Alisha all my doctors are pretty good but some dont have the understanding of those suffering with depression anxiety as others. when I worked on the wards there was one particular consultant who would have all the time for those with physical illnesses but you have some soul come in that would attempt suicide self harming he was an absolute horror to those so much so I stood up to him he wasnt a nice consultant and it was his views or no views but i find there are doctors who just dont understand mental illness. I am with a really good one as I am also going through the menapause she explained with my anxiety my symptons have been extended and made worse. doctors are pill happy as my tutor once said glorified proffessional drug dealers. saying that I do believe in the holistic and natural approach but I know there is times I need a little help for a short time. congratulations for being strong in not taking meds at the end of the day it is your choice and free will
  • Posted

I don't think you were being fobbed off. Your Dr was being realistic,  You have tried hard to beat this and done well so don't be downhearted. you are doing well.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.