Being hyper but elevated tsh?

Posted , 6 users are following.

So my issue is that for a long time(2 years maybe) i have been experiecing symptoms that I have considered to possibly be due to levo overmedication. I have been diagnosed with Hashimoto's and on levo for the last 8 years. I was started on low dose levo when my tsh was close to 5 and in a course of 2 years i was up to 100mg because my tsh persisted rising above 3. Things started getting weird after 50mg but I didn't really connect my issues to possibly be due to levo.I am talking about crippling anxiety, insomnia, nervousness and for the last 2 years that I have been on 112mg, i have been experiencing these plus palpitations, a feeling of pressure in the head and blurry vision with photosensitivity. At one point I thought I was close to having a break down.

So at one point I made the connection and went to an endo to check up. I didn't go to my old endo because he didn't listen to me anyway, he was just looking at my labs and talking to my mother. He was changing dosages without even seeing me in person.. So, my labs showed elevated TSH again at 3.5 and despite that we decided to lower my dosage, since I was feeling that way, from 112mg to 88mg and retest in 4 weeks. Since the dosage change it has been close to 2 weeks and I feel like I flunctuate between hypo and hyper. I have been in an emotional rollercoaster. Sometimes I was feeling better and sometimes worse until things seemed to start leveling out a few days ago, where I feel more stable but again its not all the time. I still experience the nervousness and the blurry vision although it seems to come and go but the palpitations have stopped.

So I have two questions. Could I be overmedicated on levo despite my lab results? I am suspicious of my results because I was often slacking on my T4 medication so the elevated TSH could be because of the inconsistency of me taking my medication. And lastly is what I feel normal with the dosage change?

0 likes, 31 replies

31 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

hi,

i am wondering how you are feeling? i recently took thyroid medicine for about 2-3 weeks but my body did not respond well to it. i have some days where side effects seem to get better and then some days they feel worse.

• Posted

Any update? Are you back to normal

now, and how long did it take?

i took it for 5 weeks (4 of those sheer misery), and Ive been off 4 weeks. wondering when this will go away.

• Posted

hi there. well i am definitely not back to normal. i know everyones bodys respond differently and takes their own time to recover but i have been off armour for 3.5 months and am still dealing with effects. it seems like most people feel better after 2 -3 months. a lot of the side effects have subsided or gotten better but i still cannot sleep well. palpitations are pretty much gone. not sure if you experienced insomnia from taking armour. what was your experience? were you taking armour? were you over medicated or just experiencing side effects? what symptoms are you dealing with? hang in there! it will get better! i had so much testing done from the side effects cause they were so awful! i had my heart checked because i did not know if it did damage!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.