Being intimate after posterior repair

Posted , 7 users are following.

I'm almost 7 weeks post posterior repair surgery and have been cleared to be intimate with my husband again. I have to be honest I'm really nervous as I still have a little discomfort. I've read that many women have pain with intercourse after most prolapse surgeries. I start pelvic floor therapy tomorrow and hope it will help with any discomfort that I still have. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.Thanks.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

hi, i understand your concerns as i was the same. a bit of wine (to help you relax) and a lot of lube is what i did. the first couple of times left me feeling quite sore but it soon passed. everything is much tighter so its a bit like doing it for the first time again. try to relax and stick with missionary for a while until you have adjusted. good luck!

• Posted

Start with lots of 'playing' first. Use plenty of lubricant. Once that feels comfortable (which may take a few sessions) then proceed with penetrative sex. Best position is you on top so you can dictate speed, depth and angle. It will probably take a few weeks to months at least till you feel completely comfortable, physically and mentally. Good luck and have fun!!

• Posted

hi

I think after these OP each woman us different.. I on the other hand had no interest for up to 12 weeks.

I wanted to make sure I was all healed and mentally ready also.

natural yes lubricant is wonderful after these surgeries as its soothing and comfortable.

please take it easy as yiu gave plenty if time to get intim but one chance of healing.xx

• Posted

Sorry no advice but thanks for asking this. I will be interested in the responses.I am 4 wks post posterior AND anterior repair and am 69!. Urogynaecogist thinks its helps. I understand that orgasm helps to strengthen p floor but surely pressure and rubbing can compromise the already weak tissue....? Spose there are other ways.

• Posted

without doubt it isnt good for healing fragile tissues. contractions with orgasm isnt good early on due to the pressure.

I didn't even think if sex those early months..

• Posted

I haven't had mine done yet but I have been following this group/ site for years. You must be careful that the surgery doesn't fail by doing too much too fast. Best of luck to you and you healing process. Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family. 🙌❤

• Posted

Thanks for all the kind words of wisdom. I personally do not have an interest but DH I most certainly think does. I know he is trying to be understanding, however there has been the odd comment. I have expressed my nervousness/fear but I don't think he can fully comprehend. When I went for my 6 week check up last week and the doctor was checking it nearly put me through the roof. What tricky waters to navigate. When do you start feeling normal again?

• Posted

ut takes at least 6 mths to be kind if normal... each woman is so different though.

• Posted

Why do these consultants give women the "all clear" for all sorts of things so soon after these intimate repairs.Pelvic floor therapy is good but those tender tissues have been cut and sewed up again and are very tight.

Lots of women recommend 3 months before any penetrative sex. Your partner needs to know you will be very tender indeed. You have to explain to him that you are in charge and that "stop" means STOP. Lots of lube as well. You may need several attempts, and gritting of teeth,but you will get there in the end. It may help if you have a slim vibrator to use on your own, to help you relax and get used to penetration.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.