Being tested for pancreatic insufficiency.

Posted , 5 users are following.

I am being tested for pancreatic insufficiency.

my symptoms are feeling sick, diarrhea some days, being extremely ill after coffee and alcohol, thigh pain, right side pain below ribs and back pain and floating stools. i am feeling very weak, faint and extreme tiredness.

are these the symptoms you can get with pancreatic insufficiency or chronic pancreatis?

i also get once a month random sickness and diarrhea for a few hours a night for no reason.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

I have never been sick but feeling sick all the time as for symptoms they are what I have but keep looking positive

• Posted

The thigh pain and once a month random sickness are the only things that don't "scream" pancreatitis. I have no idea what the thigh pain is, but maybe sciatica or a blood clot? And are sure the random sickness is really random?

Everything else does sound like pancreatitis and potentially gallbladder as well. You need to see a gastroenterologist who specializes in pancreatitis, get scans and fecal test to determine the level of damage.

Avoid alcohol even if it didn't cause the problem. Aim for high protein, low fat foods. No fast or fried foods. Give up coffee. Get your doctor to prescribe digestive enzymes.

You need to take this very seriously. Surgery may be your best bet to get things under control, but get evaluated to find out. You don't need complications.

All the best, and keep us posted!

• Posted

thank you. do you get shortness of breathe?

• Posted

Dry mouth/thirst can be signs of Szogren's, which can cause autoimmune pancreatitis. Supposedly it responds well to corticosteroids, but I don't know details.

Szogren's can cause duct problems (salivary glands). It causes a lot of other issues, too.

Dry mouth can also be a side effect of many medications.

• Posted

No I'm fine I have been OK all night just got up its 4 am tummy starts pain and feeling crap

• Posted

Hey

I'm also being tested for insufficiency. I think it depends on the pain. I don't actually get pain I get a dull ache that radiates to my back and my Elastase-1 low 4 times and repeated it again which was less than 15.

Still the consultant don't know if it's pancreas insufficiency. I've just had an MRI which is your best bet.

Floating stool's is a sign of insufficiency but so is the colour of your stool's is their pale looking.

I assume chronic pancreatitis can be very painful and just because I mite have insufficiency don't mean you have pancreatitis. There's other causes and could even be non pancreatic insufficiency.

Hope all goes well

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.