Being tested now for RA. On Methotrexate one week. Hands and feet swollen all joint painful.

Posted , 7 users are following.

How long will it take for the swelling to go down

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Regina, I'm so sorry you have been affected by this dreadful disease, I can't say how long it will take to help the inflammation go down as I have never used methotrexate, I refused it when I was first diagnosed and have managed without it.

I try to keep mine under control with mostly natural remedies, I use tumeric, black pepper and a good olive oil, it's quite time consuming but I do think it helps, you can buy the capsules from health stores and maybe some supermarkets as well,I also use heat and ice and hot Wax. I hope you start to feel better very soon.

• Posted

Regina and Alexandria,

I'm sorry to hear about your recent diagnosis. I can say I definitely agree with Alexandria there are definitely a lot of natural ways I would try first. My wife and the man who is like her second father both have arthritis. Although Osteo and RA respectively, they both take protandim which has done wonders. My wife has even been able to return to work as a massage therapist since. It has only 5 ingredients all natural and one of those is Tumeric like Alexandria mentioned. It's done wonders for my family I can definitely get you more information if you're interested. 

• Posted

Hello

Lots of people with RA do different things to try and combat it. Some prefer the herbal way and cooking with Tumeric or taking the same i tablet form can have a lot of benefits for some.

I am on methotrexate15 mgs weekly and have been for years alongside a fortnightly self administered humira injection, all this along with my painkillers does ok but it still hurts, you just get used to it and battle on the best way you can. I do hope you find the right mix that will help you.

Regards Gaz

• Posted

You need instant treatment now. Doctor said to mom to admit in Hospitals for 3 days.
  • Posted

It usually takes 12 weeks + for Methotrexate to kick in. You should have been given a short course of Prednisolone (a steroid) to give you relief until the ethotrexate begins to work.
  • Posted

It usually takes 12 weeks + for Methotrexate to kick in. You should have been given a short course of Prednisolone (a steroid) to give you relief until the Methotrexate begins to work. Although the natural remedies work for some, they don't work for everyone, and they're not likely to stop the damage to your joints that cause deformities.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.