Believe Im sufferin Rhabdo from one statin, while previously hitting the gym after 2 years off with

Posted , 5 users are following.

Oxandrolone.

I have had full blood count done, and eGFR and electrolyte which was fine, but i have no energy and complete muscle weakness short of breath also aswell as sufferin chest muscle pain? and tremors throuhout muscles with faintness its now been two weeks since i took a 40 m simvastatin and I literally cant walk down stairs and back without feelin out of breath and faint, I also was ettin bad headaches which have stopped but im not digesting food properly i have diarreah well constipation which leads to diarreah with the sweats.

My blood test came back fine but I really think if my cpk levels were done theyd be high, I have suffered with panic attack before which lead to the statin, but htis has been two weeks of feelin like this, and i am gettin dismissed as not urgent from doctors, and its followin a protocol, given my panic attacks im bein labelled as hyperchondriac while i am feelin genuine symptoms of 2 weeks and family are startin to worry and take me seriously 

obviously i am actually worried now, without panic as many talk about gettin to hospital asap, but i look like an idiot to everyone all the time, and they wont tke me seriously because of the unlikelyness of the event.

1 like, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Some doctors are just plain ignorant, though it does not help matters that some of the textbooks for introductory pharmacology classes taught to nurses and doctors do not mention the majority of the possible side effects for the statins (at least they did not here in the United States when I took an online pharmacology class four years ago through my local community college system).  Get lists of side effects from the manufacturer's website or the Mayo Clinic's website and keep trying.  Also, Dr. Beatrice Golomb heads the 'Statin Effects Study' at the University of California at San Diego, so they keep a lot of good information out there, as does Dr. Duane Graveline (former NASA science astronaut and retired family practice doctor) on his website (he suffered from bouts of transient global amnesia when his doctor at NASA put him on Lipitor for a while about 15 years ago).  Anyway, best wishes on this.

My own bad experiences with statins were through Veterans Affairs/Administration (VA) here in the U.S.  While my HDL levels were good, they were putting as many veterans as possible on the darn stuff.  Unfortunately, my cholesterol was resistant to coming down with simvastatin, so I spent only 4 months at 20mg simvastatin before they bumped it up to 40mg for two year, then 80mg for 16 months.  They sent only a very abbreviated list of side effects with the prescription (muscle problems and the possibility of liver damage) printed on what amounted to a wide thermal-style cash register receipt paper (faded after about 2-3 months so you could not read it).  I suffered from increased levels of anger and irritability, my carpal tunnel symptoms got much worse (which I self-medicated with more aspirin, which got to be ridiculous at 40 or more per day and probably covered up a ton of muscle pain), unannounced extremely explosive and watery diarrhea, nasal congestion, memory issues, my fasting blood sugar level went up by 16 point (went back down again after I stopped taking simvastatin), and a number of others.  I've also met people whose muscle pain within two months of starting a statin was so bad that they hated going up and down the stairs in their own home because of the pain.  Also, there is information out there that states that a lot of athletes won't take statins because it messes up their athletic perfomance.

The statins mess up such things as your seratonin levels, vitamin D levels, testosterone levels, coQ10 levels, cortisol levels, and several brain neurotransmitters, among others.  Dr. Peter Langsjoen down in Texas studies how statins increase the risk of congestive heart failure, though that can be relieved somewhat by supplementing the statin with coQ10 (enzyme cofactor that all of your cells use in releasing energy for cell use).  There have also been rare reports of acute pancreatitis or interstitial lung disease associated with statin use.

Anyway, keep fighting.  Insist to your doctor that you'd like to back off the statin and see if your symptoms back off any.  Talk your equivalent of malpractice if he/she objects.  Remember, just as some people are allergic to penicillin, some people can be more sensitive to statins than other people are.

Best wishes for your improved health.

• Posted

If you were given statins for panic attacks you're not the idiot, whoever prescribed it is a total idiot, unless a test was done and your cholesterol was high
  • Posted

Such a hard bbattle to get people to take me serious
    • Posted

Constant ttremorsand electrical spsrks
    • Posted

I'm taking you seriously:  I want you to have your chest pain checked out urgently in case it's something serious
  • Posted

Really good reading your experience.The out of breath and muscle energy interesting,obviously panic not nice.

One line of thought is that statins are anti-inflammatory ,so I dont understand how they lead to congestive heart failure.

Since my bypass I have no more angina and have taken the.muscle pain away by consuming peanut butter,yes it does work for some people.Seems to be a limit for me on cycling now though,maybe just stick to it andbe happy with my health.

• Posted

I took a statin for 7 years at least 5 of them once a year physicals and wascseeing the Dr for vaccines and with my husband as he went the Dr i have gone to since I was 20 I'm 59, trusted family friend and physician never did I expect the affect of the statin 40mg generic for Zocor to affect me this way !conbective tissues cartilage ,long bone pain can hardly walk because of hips snapping and clicking, had a yeast infection for years fatigue , shortness of breath had stress tests ,milograms(emg), blood test , breathing tests , pain all over , headaches, diarrhea, low sugar the sweats and swings !

I cant ride ,walk, exercise forget it !

Can i get stem cell therapy? Is there help !?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.