Believing it's Fibro

Posted , 6 users are following.

I was diagnosed with Fibro back in January after 5 months of pretty much just not feeling well. It all started with random muscle twitches which threw me into full blown anxiety which lead to a achiness, stiffness, etc. I was tested for Lupus and all types of other things through blood work, then referred to a Rheumetologist who confirmed it was Fibro. He didn't really do the tender point test, but I'm pretty sure I have them, especially in my upper back because that's where I have the most problems. Anyway, once I was diagnosed I felt myself start to feel better especially as my anxiety decreased. Then in August I had a sinus infection that would not go away, and I have not felt right since then. The twitching is back, my neck, shoulders, back, arms, and hands ache every single day. I feel so stiff sometimes and that just leads to more achiness. I've had a few days where I feel a lump in my throat, and randomly get muscle type feeling pains in my throat/neck area. Anytime I have a new symptom, my anxiety comes back. I start to question the whole diagnosis which I think makes me just feel worse. Anyway, I'm just wondering does anyone else go through this? I'm tired of worrying I have something else wrong with me. I want to accept the diagnosis and cope with it without being scared every time something new happens. My rheum said Fibro patients tend to need a lot of reassurance and I could come in anytime I feel that way, but I don't want to make that a habit. Any suggestions on how to move on from this and not feel so discouraged/anxious??

1 like, 17 replies

17 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I've had fibromyalgia for 6 years. It's been a big adjustment. What works to keep the pain manageable is a diet without grains, preservatives and sugar. I take Gabapentin, Meloxicam daily and Morphine only for really bad days. I walk everyday as much as I can and keep myself distracted with novels and movies and crafts. I had to retire from work and I have to keep my stress levels low and stay away from people who live drama

• Posted

I can understand that totally. The drama I have is dealing with this anything else is now insignificant. It occupies your life daily how can it not. Distracting yourself away from the fibromyalgia is in itself a hard enough task. Retiring from work was probably the best move I made. My stress levels came down although I won't lie I still get stressed from the fibromyalgia pain when it's at its most unrelenting. People have different coping strategies. I don't mind a bit of drama so long as it's not affecting me or my family lol.

Life goes on dramas or no dramas it's whatever works for you that's important. I changed my diet I eat fresh food everyday I don't touch processed foods. I eat plenty of fresh vegetables and fruit. I don't drink alcohol.

To get anywhere with this illness you have to make life style changes and develop coping mechanisms and strategies. What works for one doesn't necessarily work for others but on here people can get involved with debate and offer up their views and others can make use of that if it helps great if it doesn't no harm done.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.