Bell Palsy - How long did it last?

Posted , 28 users are following.

Would like to know the length time when their face came back to normal - basically if it was fixed in days, weeks, and/or months.

2 likes, 125 replies

125 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Never did.
    • Posted

Mine has not gone away.  I had it March 2014.  Can't smile, can't raise eyebrow, smaller eye opening, synkenesis.  I am 72.

• Posted

Hi Sharon24495  I'm so sorry yours has never gone away.  I had it on the right side in 1992.  It went away, but still droop when fatigued.  Now I have it on the left side of my face.  I'm 64.  I have had it for 7 weeks.  Can't smile, can't raise my eyebrow, difficulty speaking.  My eye is not as bad this time.  Frustrating.  I feel for you my dear.

• Posted

Have you or anyone out there trouble with eye watering?  I don't use eye drops much because then both eyes water all day.  I have seen some comments about plugs or stents and was wondering if that helped.  Can the palsy cause damage to the muscles affecting drainage?

• Posted

Hi Sharon,

Yes, I have had lots of trouble with eye watering.  I already have dry eye syndrome, so eye watering has been a persistant problem anyway.  Believe it or not, use of the eye drops reduces the eye watering.  At least it seems to help with comfort.  Sorry, but I do not know anything about use of plugs or stents.  Good luck to you.  I totally relate to annoying drippy eyes!

• Posted

Wow Sharon you are a wealth of info on Bells I am 68 and have had it for 10weeks and am going through all the various treatments. I was wondering whether you could comment on whether the intake of alcohol slows down the healing process.
    • Posted

I don't think food or drink has any affect on Bells.  I drank through a straw for a long time.

• Posted

Booze has had NO adverse affects on my BP (which began one year ago today). You could say that a not-insignificant downside was - at least at the beginning - was the difficulty in trying to drink it...I’m still not good with beer from a can.  May I also boldly pronounce (since it’s very soon legal in my country) that smoking a joint is VERY difficult, physically, with BP. A real pain trying to focus one eye as you light it, and then in a few minutes as you try to finish it. On the plus side: when that’s all said and done, you get to forget about the damn Bell’s Palsy for a blissful while...
  • Posted

I am 41. Just got Bell's Palsy for 12 days. Finished my steroid and viral meds and continuing with eye drops and eye protection.

There is a slight but almost unnoticeable movement coming back.

Thanks everyone for sharing. Best wishes!

• Posted

I had Bell's Palsy in 1992.  I don't remember how long it lasted, but had a full recovery.  It was on the right side of my face.  When extrememlly fatigued, my face and especially eye droops.  On Aut. 26, 2016 it struck my left side of my face.  It is 7 weeks today.  Still have it.  A bit easier to talk, still unable to smile, cannot raise eyebrow, eyelid movement a bit easier.  Facial exercises helped a great deal on the right side of my face.  I went through 2 rounds of prednisone that time.  This time no treatment at all.  Have been doing facial exercises this time, Left side is still not responding to attempts....just some jaw movement, but anything is better than nothing.  Good luck to you.

• Posted

I'm 34 and just got Bell's Palsy. Mouth is slightly off, eye closes about 80-85%, can move my cheek a bit and my eyebrows. Docs gave me meds to help. Wondering when I should start massaging. Was told to do facial excersizes immediately. Also, did anyone have any advice on medication? Do I re-up when I'm out or just continue to do excersizes?

• Posted

You don't need anymore medication.  Don't massage, I was told, but facial exercises are alright.  It takes time, maybe weeks, maybe months.  It doesn't go away overnight.

• Posted

It's been a little over 3 weeks, 24 days to be exact, for me.  I'm about 80% with face muscle recovery.  

If you have been diagnose with Bell's Palsy by your doctor, fell fortunate because there is a high 80-85% chance of full recovery.  You will be fine, even though you don't feel fine right now.  On the other hand, if you do not notice little improvements over 2-3 weeks, or if you notice other symptoms, please make it a priority to contact your doctor for possible other health issues such as diabetes, heart issues, Lyme disease, brain tumor, etc.

Treatments:

1.  Eye: Since you cannot close your eye completely or blink, you need to protect your eye with eye drops every hour, sun glasses when going out, and eye patch at night.

2.  People have mentioned massage, acupuncture, and facial exercises.  My doctor says there is no conclusive data on these but do it if you want to if there seems to be no harm done.  Personally, I do exercises, using my hands to help me move my face.  I also like to feel the sensation of my face moving as I slowly regain control.

3.  Virus:  Like other have mentioned, there is no conclusive data that the herpes simplex virus (cold sore or genital herpes) cause the inflammation somewhere near the facial nerves, damaging them.  High doses of viral medication within 2-3 days of symptom do seem to help recovery, but data is not significantly conclusive.  I take it because it has no noticeable side effect and herpes virus was active when I got BP.

4.  I take high dosage of oral steroid for 4 days to reduce the inflammation, gradually reducing the dosage afterwards so my body can adjust.  I had stomach pains and pimples side effects.

Good luck

• Posted

I felt fatigued from the illness.  I walked but no strenuous exercises for 2 1/2 weeks.  Personally, I would rest 1-2 week from sports.  Let your body fight against the virus and recover from the inflammation.
    • Posted

Thanks. It's just a huge adjustment for me and I'm getting nervous/anxious.

• Posted

Thanks. I'm on day 3 of viral and have started to ease down my steroid intake as of yesterday per doc's order. The only frustrating part is that I feel that it's getting worse. I know I'm just being foolish. As part of my job I have to talk to people a lot. It's a small dip but I have become very self conscious. It's only day 4 or so, I just need to accept that it will take time. Thanks for the advice. Got all the stuff to take care of my eye.

• Posted

I'm a bartender so I'm adjusting to not drinking while on the meds and still being able to do the job (tasting drinks for quality/checking on new Liquors to see if we can sell them). I know I'm more aware of my condition than others are and in turn I'm just really self aware. I'll take it easy and let my body rest as much as humanly possible.

• Posted

Hello,

I'm sorry that you're going through this I know exactly how you feel because unfortunately this is my second time getting it and I'm 28. The first time I got it I was completely paralyzed on one side of my face but I had little to no pain and I regained movement whithin about a month. This time it's more severe with pain and I'm just starting to see movement on the paralyzed side of my face 3 weeks later. I wrote you because you mentioned that it seems like it's getting worse and that's exactly what happened to me. I was okay the first few days and a week later I started to get really bad pain and my eye was extremely painful. I think my main problem was that I DIDN't take off work when it happened. You need rest even if you don't think so. When I was at work it got really bad and I had to go back to the hospital. My doctor took me off work for a few weeks and I started to see improvemet within a matter of days of being away from my job and resting! I suggest that you take some time off of work to rest it definitely helped for me. The stress from a job and also insecurities about how you sound and look causes stress so taking off work would be beneficial. Hope you get better God bless!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.