Bell's Palsy 33 years ago

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi. I had Bell's Palsy in 1983 when I was two weeks off having my first child - it was terrifying, painful but thankfully my facial deformity went back to normal within 3 months.

However, the right side of my face has never fully recovered. Even after all these years I cannot survive cold weather without pain in my ear, cheek and forehead. It fees like  pressure on the bones within my ear and top of jaw. Sounds mad after all this time (and the medical profession thinks so!!) but would love to know if anyone else suffers in this way. Thanks.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jools

I had BP 11 years ago and although I don't get the pain in my face as you have described I do still suffer from tightness in the face on the BP side.  I have never found anything to relieve this - have you had this and ever found anything to help?

i know what you mean about the medical profession as there is very little help for sufferers of BP residuals.  

• Posted

Yes! The BP side feels tight and in photos, I think, looks slightly different. Warmth is the only thing I find helps - hot water bottle against cheek and, strangely,  cotton wool in ear all helps when its bad. Never suffer when abroad in warm climes!

Doctors always say it would be very unlikely for me to have ill effects after so many years. They are wrong!! Good luck.

• Posted

Yes they are wrong Jools -  you can have residuals for ever.  I hate photos too as my smile never came back 100 per cent so it is slightly lopsided still. The Queen victoria Hospital in East Grinstead have a special facial clinic with all kinds of help there even for longtimers such as ourselves.  You would need a referral from your GP for NHS treatment but they do private as well.  Heard great reports about them.  The only thing for me is that it is quite far away but I have often thought about it.  When my face feels tight it makes me quite miserable as I expect you will know only too well.
  • Posted

I am almost 2 years and it feels like my cheek tightens up or looks swollen off and on.  I never had any pain so I am glad about that.  I lost my taste 1 month ago and that is really aggrivating.  Everything tastes burning or on fire.  Using a straw so I bypass the tongue helps a little.  I lost taste in the beginning for 9 months but I didn't know this would happen again.  I found a good video that demonstrates exercises that I'm trying hard to do.  Nothing on my right side moves but maybe someday.  I had eyelid surgery to try and correct the eye difference but it still is off a little.  Maybe a second surgery is in order.  Has anyone had surgery?
  • Posted

It has been more than 1 year i got recovered from bell palsy.

but sometimes i feel pain on my face and and i dont look the same as before.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.