Bell's palsy 9 weeks no recovery

Posted , 12 users are following.

I was diagnosed with Bell's palsy 9 weeks ago, following an ear infection, I was given steroids from the onset, referred to physio, which I'm still waiting for, I have been doing exercises daily, I went to the hospital yesterday for a check up and was very bluntly told by the doctor, that he thinks, because I've shown no signs of improvement, that it will be permanent. After breaking down, my husband stepped in and started questioning the doctor, and to be honest he had absolutely no answers. Is there any one else who is in the same position as me? I am really struggling at the moment to see a light at the end of the tunnel

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Drs. don't know enough about this disease  Don't give up yet.  Could take a few months. 

• Posted

Hi, it has been over a year and I did not fully recover. I have partial paralysis on the left side of my face. I still cannot raise my eyebrow, my smile is just partial and the left aide of my tongue is still numb. But, I have learned to deal with it and make the best of it. My Dr. said I have a very rare case of Bell's Palsy, 1 in 100,000 don't recover, and I am that one lol. Just don't give up, it is what it is, and I just accept what movement I have. Bless you

• Posted

My friend and I, both came down with BP 4 years ago.   We are still in the shape that you are except my tongue isn't numb.   I did lose my taste though for several months 2 times.  I think this is more common than your Dr. thinks, not a full recovery.  You are right, it is what it is.  Just courious, how old are you?

• Posted

For me 12 weeks frnd. Till no development on anything . Doing Physio daily , exercise daily . Following diet foods . No chill items . Even though no improvements . Completely depressed and decided to leave from this world 
  • Posted

Hello:

I went to the dentist February 7-18, due to cracking my crown, two days prior. The only reason I went is because years ago they used metal and it was rubbing against my tongue. I had no pain, virus, cold . Within 12 hours I ended up with Bell Palsy. Of course the dentist said it did not happen there, which is a lie. I ended up in the hospital. I was told by several doctors, could have been caused by trauma, viral etc. 

There have been improvement, not much, it is going on six months.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.